Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Fish eggs, Vas Deferens or Multiple Nevi - Same Difference

I was thinking about Fat doctor's post regarding using products past their expiration date as I was thoroughly cleaning my fridge today.

How long does crisco last if opened last November and refrigerated? (I haven't used it since last Thanksgiving) It isn't anything real anyway - is it? I couldn't bring myself to throw it out earlier but I did by a new one at the store tonight, so I will toss it tomorrow morning. Then there was the mozerella string cheese dated for Nov. 8th. That is only 13 days past the expiration date and if they say you have a week past exp. for dairy products - then today is only 5 days past that. What will the cheese do? 13 days past expiration? I am thinking it is ok - at least for me. The moldy cat food? That's a no brainer - give it to him. I'm KIDDING ... or.. am I? I tossed it - the moldy cat food - not the cat, although.....

And then there are the fish eggs my husband and son use for bait, specifically Mike's Quality Salmon Eggs! Ugh! They have been kicking around the fridge for about 2 YEARS! Tonight, I asked my husband "3" different times if he thought the fish eggs were still good. (I think he is amused by my obvious disdain for those eggs!) He said they are good for awhile. Awhile? Define "awhile"'. As in short time? These are 2 yrs old! They have been knocking around between the condiments all this time. (hot dogs anyone?) When I clean everything - I also clean the egg jars, but I hate touching them. They remind me of the specimens I used to process - vas deferens, multiple nevi, etc. - same difference - all in a jar, interesting, yet gross and NOT something I want in our refrigerator! :)

P.S. And I got PAID to handle those specimens!

3 comments:

Passionstamper (a/k/a the stamp lady) said...

about those fish eggs-my hubby, your neighbor has some great advice! Simply take a few of those fish eggs out, place them in warm water, wait awhile and see if they hatch into little fishies....if they don't, you can toss them-they're dead! Otherwise, keep cleaning those jars!

SeaSpray said...

or....following his advice, they could hatch in to multiple mutants, in which case I will send them over to your house! You want more pets - yes? :)

SeaSpray said...

P.S. Passionstamper - tell hubby I am getting my petri dish now! :)