Saturday, February 24, 2007

$14.99 - Listen Up?????




I am watching a movie ("Dances With Wolves") and am venting on the last commercial that was just aired. For only $14.99, you can purchase a device called Listen Up. A little device that can easily be concealed. There is an ear piece that is attached via wire to the recorder. Yes - recorder.

Gee - not only can I slink around corners to the tune of the "Pink Panther" theme song (on my cell) but I can do so like a pro with this handy little device! I can Spy! I can get all the private info I want! Why - certainly, I have NOTHING BETTER to do than to listen to everyone's private conversations!

Oh sure - they demonstrate that you can listen to nature sounds or children playing at a distance more clearly. That's a good thing. But they show people - everyday people (or...are they?) listening to everyday people.

I am just annoyed at the idea that people can have their privacy so blatantly intruded upon. Sure -I know that we live in an age of spy satellites along with all the other governmental capabilities to gather intelligence and that sadly, it is necessary. Then there is You Tube, paparazzi,cell phone cams, video cams seemingly everywhere and even spy ware on one's own computer.

Now - we have an infomercial touting the advantages of "listening in". Call me crazy - but I think it is important to respect an individual's privacy. Unless, for some governmental or local agency working for the good in a given situation - people have a right to their own privacy. And maybe, sometimes an undeserving individual's privacy is worth being violated for a greater good - but only then. Then who and what determines that, etc.,etc.,? I am only complaining about the absurdity of people walking around with such devices for the purpose of spying on everyday people.) Sure, I have joked about wanting to be a fly on the wall sometimes, but I really don't want to. I don't want to do that to someone else and I wouldn't want it done to me.

After watching this commercial, I now have have an image of little grandmas everywhere listening in on random conversations. Remember the nosy neighbor Gladys Kravitz on "Bewitched"? Move over Jack Bauer - here come the $14.99 techno spies!

I am grateful to be alive now, at this time in history. We have so many advantages.

Sometimes though.... just sometimes -I wouldn't mind sipping ice tea while rockin on those big ol' rockers on the front porch with Aunt Bea, Andy and Opi back in Mayberry. Mmmmm.... and maybe have a big ol' slice of Aunt Bea's home made apple pie too. :)
Homemade Apple Pie

No comments: