Saturday, May 5, 2007

The Perfect Eggs


By SkyValley Gallery
Good Morning!

I just made myself some eggs for breakfast. My favorite-over easy on whole wheat toast. 2nd favorite - omelets with any kind of vegetable and sometimes cheese, especially feta cheese with spinach. Yum! :)

It occurred to me while cooking these eggs that I am too impatient to make the perfect egg. I invariably break, burn or mutilate them in some way. I'm not fussy - they're just for me. However, the pressure is on if I have to make them for anyone else. :)

My husband makes the perfect eggs - every time. He learned from his grandmother. I never liked eggs until I had his over easy when we first got married - then I was hooked!

I think he talks to them. Something goes on between him and those eggs. Maybe he was one of them in a previous life and knows just what to do. (No - I really don't believe in reincarnation. I believe this life is a one way trip.) Anyway, he has never been able to impart his secret to me for making eggcellent (sorry) eggs. :)

So, cooking perfect eggs - not my thing, although I do make good deviled eggs.

One Sunday morning as a new bride, I told him I was going to make him a nice cheese omelet.

I was using a recipe from the cook book. (Did I mention that I didn't know how to cook when I got married? Seriously! I knew how to cook 4 things and I don't think a tuna fish sandwich is really considered cooking - although everyone always complimented the tuna fish. (I have a certain way of doing it) Just before we got married in the fall my husband's aunt taught me how to cook lasagne, stuffed cabbage rolls and chocolate chip cookies. That's it.) The cheese omelet recipe called for 3 Tbs. of fresh parsley. I substituted with 3 Tbs. of dry parsley. All the other measurements were correct. I whipped the mixture up and I knew the eggs didn't look right because they were very.....green? I rechecked the recipe. Hmm... what's a "little" parsley? I forged ahead. I also misinterpreted what was meant by gently bringing the spatula inward so that the eggs could slowly cover the pan and cook flat like an omelet. No - I was a bit more aggressive. Remember, I am an impatient egg cooker. I ended up with a big frying pan of very GREEN SCRAMBLED eggs! All we needed was some Ham! :)

greenegg.gif (112391 bytes)

Say!
I like green eggs and ham!
I do! I like them, Sam-I-am!
And I would eat them in a boat.
And I would eat them with a goat...

And I will eat them in the rain.
And in the dark. And on a train.
And in a car. And in a tree.
They are so good, so good, you see!

So I will eat them in a box.
And I will eat them with a fox.
And I will eat them in a house.
And I will eat them with a mouse.
And I will eat them here and there.
Say! I will eat them ANYWHERE!

I do so like
green eggs and ham!
Thank you!
Thank you,
Sam-I-am!

7 comments:

Sisyphus said...

Do you have a dog? I've never known a dog who could tell the difference...green eggs? Yumm! Actually, I love eggs. Any which way, but the first time I visited the States, I was rather baffled when the waitress asked me whether I wanted them "Sunny side up, or easy-over"! We only fry our eggs one side and don't attach names to them.

ERnursey said...

my mom is the master of the egg, i can't fry an over-easy egg to save my own life. I suspect I am too impatient and of course she was raised to fry them in bacon grease and i am always trying to be 'healthy'

MonkeyGirl said...

Oh My God I LOVE eggs fried in bacon grease. I only eat them about once a year, and I can feel my arteries clogging just thinking about it.

The Angry Medic said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA I KNEW the Dr Seuss reference was coming as soon as I started reading the post :)

SeaSpray said...

Hi Sis -yes we do. A big, handsome German Shepherd named Bob who seems to have a built in homing device when it comes to any kind of food search. You know those cartoon characters that get from one place to another as a 1 second blur in which you hear them screech to a halt? That's Bob. He is either lunging for air born food like the shark in Jaws or his nose is to the ground like an anteater. I think he is telepathic and with his seemingly supersonic hearing can hear utensils scraping a dish from anywhere. I don't know why our cat isn't starving because Bob eats his food too .....and sometimes the way Bob sniffs the cat-he seems to be thinking...... :)

We had a Springer Spaniel before Bob and one night after she had died,I accidentally dropped food on the floor by the stove. I was actually shocked to turn around a few minutes later and still see it there. Boy, that really hit home that we didn't have a dog anymore.

Sis, I love it when you discuss the differences in our verbal expressions! I always thought sunny side up or over easy were the same but actually, sunny side up is just that - the bright yellow uncooked side of the egg. I am definitely and over easy girl! I think its interesting that you don't give them names. Do you guys scramble them over there?

Hi ER Nursey - it seems we are kindred spirits in the impatient egg cooker club. :) I remember my husband's grandmother saying that she used to save bacon grease to cook with. Doesn't it go bad? Is that the kind of bacon grease y'all are talking about or do you just mean the bacon grease from bacon cooked right then and then fry the eggs? I've done that but I usually use a little butter or maple sausages.

Hi Monkeygirl- I know the bacon and sausages aren't good for us, but the eggs are. I don't remember why but I know they have a lot of nutrition in them and they got a bad rap for so many years. When I was growing up no one ate eggs in the house and we always had margerine which they now know turns to plastic in our arteries. My uncle had 3 angioplasties later in life. We only use butter or the butter substitute (can't think of name) that lowers cholesterol.

I love your posts and look forward to reading more. Thank you for the link as well. :)

Hi Medic- LOL! nothing gets past you - does it? Ha! I guess that was predictable. I love Dr Seuss books and would always read the books my children picked at bed time, but if they didn't pick a Dr Seuss book I would always say, "You also want this Dr Seuss book - right?".

I am still chuckling over your HUBBA, HUBBA! :)

BTW - I think the dream also shows how much medical info your brain IS processing and I really do think blogging facilitates the release of anxieties that might otherwise hinder your thought processes. Laughter releases endorphins. Need I say more? :)

All this talk about eggs is making me hungry and I am going to make myself an over EZ egg on wholewheat toast and yes, today I will fry it with a couple of maple sausages. It's Sunday-that's a good reason - right? :)

HP said...

That's funny. Better than the green ham and eggs you might find in my fridge! Time for a clean out I think. One thing though, translation needed...what are eggs over easy?

SeaSpray said...

Hi HP - eggs that are more cooked on one side then the other so that you can flip the egg over but then you do it real easy so you don't break the yolk and then you cook that side for a shorter time so the yolk stays runny - but is cooked.

My husband's way is better. He puts a lid over the pan and keeps checking it until eggs look like they are just starting to cook. I did that the other day - but then I am the impatient egg cooker and I walked away and came back to a solidly cooked dry yolk. :)