Thursday, May 24, 2007

I Don't Know What to Entitle This Post

"My own belief of this mortal life is that no two friends can occupy the same place in our hearts. Each heart is filled with chambers stately and old, and each beloved guest is assigned a chamber exclusively for himself. That room is always his. If death or distance, or even disgrace separates him from us, still the room is his, and his only forever. No other person can ever occupy it. Others may have rooms equally choice, but when a guest has once departed from that room he has held in another heart, the door of that room is barred forever; it is held inviolate - sacred to the departed guest. And so in heaven each guest has a separate room or home. "In My Father's house are many mansions...I go to prepare a place (room) for
you." ~ Rebecca Springer

So - where are all these life after death thoughts coming from anyway? Well, I stated earlier that the OR L.A.D. cartoon triggered it, but really it has been on my mind for a while now.

I have been thinking about 2 families that lost their sons in car accidents last year. One was a classmate of my younger son and the other boy attended school in another district and was the son of a local doctor. One died in June - the other in July. They both would have graduated H.S. this year.

I have thought of these families often throughout this past year and my heart breaks for them. I started really thinking about them around Mother's Day because of everything coming up now. Proms, Mother's Day, Father's Day, graduation, the anniversary of their deaths and perhaps other milestones as well.

I know the families must continually feel the loss of their precious sons but the feelings must be exacerbated with all of these significant dates coming up.

As a parent, I think the time period where the child gets their license is the toughest. It is an exciting time but it is also a new phase for which they will have a lot more freedom. It just always felt safer to be the taxi parent because you knew they got there safely.

I totaled a guy's brand new 1972 Mach I when I had just turned 17 and was on my permit. We all should have died - but the guys were discharged that night and I stayed over for a concussion among other things. We weren't belted. (I'll post about this another time) My point is that I know how easily these things can happen. It was my fault - I was speeding, racing actually and lost control.

A couple of weeks ago, I heard a couple of my son's friends bragging and laughing about how they got from destination A to destination B in 15 minutes (Should've been a half hour in my opinion.) because they were going 90 miles an hour. Be still my heart! Of course I ended up coming in and lecturing but telling them that I did understand because I did it too- but things happen. I also told them that I have seen many MVA patients come through the ER that didn't have a good outcome. Accidents are stupid. No one plans them. That's why they are called accidents. People usually regret them. I sure did.

In my next post I have written about a book that I recommend for people that have lost loved ones. I hope it will be a source of peace and comfort to anyone mourning the loss of a loved one.

No comments: