Saturday, May 26, 2007

Thank You For Your Sacrifice

These heroes are dead. They died for liberty - they died for us. They are at rest. They sleep in the land they made free, under the flag they rendered stainless, under the solemn pines, the sad hemlocks, the tearful willows, and the embracing vines. They sleep beneath the shadows of the clouds, careless alike of sunshine or of storm, each in the windowless Place of Rest. Earth may run red with other wars - they are at peace. In the midst of battle, in the roar of conflict, they found the serenity of death. I have one sentiment for soldiers living and dead: cheers for the living; tears for the dead. ~Robert G. Ingersoll


Vietnam Soldier Memorial

Thank you to all the soldiers and military support personnel from wars past and present who have sacrificed greatly so that we can be safe, for the greater good - for freedom for all.

I chose Vietnam Memorials because my husband is a Vietnam Veteran.

My uncles served in WWII.

I am proud of them and have so much respect for their sacrifices.

Have a beautiful Memorial Day weekend! :)

2 comments:

Chrysalis Angel said...

Let them know there are people that thank them! They are appreciated and thought of. We wouldn't enjoy any of what we do with out men and women like them. Even though I enjoyed my time off, I made time to get to the cemetery and take care of my ancestors graves. As I looked around and saw all the flags - I felt a lump in my throat. How can you ever really say thank you enough?

SeaSpray said...

So true Chrysalis Angel.

One Memorial day I called both uncles up (they lived in different states) to say, "Thank you for serving our country and fighting for our freedom, etc." They didn't say much but I could tell that they were surprised and deeply moved. It felt really good to do that too.

One uncle was in his late 70's and the other in his late 60's - both served during WWII. My younger uncle served in the Pacific theater
and my older one in the European and he was a medic. He said the Nazis used to aim on the crosses on their helmets for a target. He was in 4 European invasions. He never talked about the war until he was in his 80's. I don't know much about my younger uncle's experience as I didn't see him as much and when we connected we talked of other things.

I thanked my husband too. He never discusses the Vietnam war. I wish he did with someone but none of his friends went to Vietnam and I'm younger and none of my friends went either.

It is a shame how the Vietnam vets were treated when they came home. It just wasn't right. I didn't know my husband when he was over there. I wish I did because I would've been sending him care packages all the time and I would have been very supportive.

I'm glad you had a good time Angel. :)