Monday, June 4, 2007

Free in the Rain

Chrysalis Angel - I just want to tell you that tonight after my son brought my mother home (her 84th birthday today) I went outside to check the pool. I was really hot. It was raining lightly and it felt so good on my skin. I didn't care that my clothes were getting wet and decided to let the rain come down on me and walked around in it. I was thinking of you and of the comment I put in one of your recent posts. I was thinking how I am going to miss your blog and appreciate the friendship that has evolved between us. I hope you don't mind if I put my comment in this post as it is a sweet memory about another rainy day. :)

The following is a recent story I shared On chrysalis Angel's blog, although I changed it slightly.

One hot summer day I was babysitting my neighbor’s 6 yr old daughter. She and my 5 year old son were playing together. It was hot out but a huge rainstorm came and the sun was still out and there wasn't any thunder or lightening.

I said to the kids, "Let’s go outside and play in the rain with our clothes on. They LOVED the idea. It was raining cats and dogs. It was such a downpour.

We were soaked! The rainwater was so warm. We felt so free. Julie and Chris were taking extra delight in jumping in the puddles.

Then Julie exclaimed," This is the BEST day of my life!

6 comments:

Chrysalis Angel said...

Seaspray that is so sweet. Everyone should dance in the rain (next time with a sweetheart) at least once in their life, if they are real lucky- way more than once. Next time grab a partner! :) Thanks for doing something like that and thinking of me. Then my being on here wasn't a waste. Live free.

radioactive girl said...

I tried to get my kids and my daycare kids to go out and stop in some puddles, but they weren't interested because we "do it all the time". Oh well, that was a great story you told!

Sisyphus said...

I miss Chrysalis Angel's blog too. I love the rain (the smell, the sound) after it begins on a day that has been spent in the garden. It can feel so soothing and restful. I admit I love the summer rains more than the winter storms.....it gets soooo cold here and the rain against your face feels more like some madwoman throwing needles and pins at you, it really hurts, but your post makes me think of the pleasant rains that I enjoy. Thank you!

SeaSpray said...

Chrysalis Angel - so many of us have enjoyed your blog and comments and miss it.

I just enjoy doing things out of the norm like that, but other than kids - I don't think I know any adults who walk in the rain sans umbrella or rain gear intentionally just because they can.

Thanks Radioactive girl. I always wanted to stomp in the puddles and I guess I never grew out of it. :)

Maybe it was just the day and on another day the kids would race you out there. :)

I am with you Sis. I love the smell of the rain on the earth and the sound of it falling.

I remember coming home from a few days at the shore and when we got up here it had been raining awhile. as soon as we got out of the car I noticed the difference in air. At the shore it smelled salty and that night up hear you could smell the rich wet dirt. It was nice and I knew i was home sweet home. :)

Very funny - madwoman throwing needles and pins at you. LOL!

The BlogHore said...

I LOVE to be outside in the rain (as long as I'm not on my way somewhere - other than home). My daughter loves it too. I remember, back when we were kids, standing outside at the cottage in the pouring rain, in our bathing suits, washing our hair. Those were good times!

SeaSpray said...

Hi Bloghore - I remember washing my hair outside and thinking it was so much fun! I've also heard rainwater is supposed to be like a softer on your hair.

I like to swim in the rain too as long as not a thunderstorm around.