Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Today is a Gift...Carpe Diem!

Ever have regrets? Ever wish you could undo certain things or just forget the past? Ever feel afraid of the future and depending upon the circumstances...find your self worrying...and in the end you find it was often needlessly?

I was 19 the 1st time I embroidered something. The words on it said "Today is the first day of the rest of your life." I've seen those words many times since then and always appreciate them.

Yesterday? We're powerless to change the past. Hopefully, life has been good to us and we have made more right choices then wrong. Also, that we have mostly positive memories, but that we are able to grow and learn through the difficult ones... becoming more forgiving and compassionate along the way. The difficult times can help us to appreciate moments of blessing, things to be thankful for.

Tomorrow? It's pointless and a waste of energy to worry about the future, totally sapping our living in the moment. Yes, we should be practical, plan and prepare. Yes, we should have dreams and goals and do what we can to effect positive changes and outcomes. And we should look forward with peace in our hearts and enthusiasm to whatever exciting and good things may be just around the corner, believing for the best...regardless of circumstances. Only God knows for sure what will happen tomorrow. We can take comfort in knowing that he has a perfect plan for each of us and will direct us accordingly ...if we allow him. Through him there is always hope for a better tomorrow.

Today? Carpe Diem... Seize the day! I have loved that Latin phrase ever since I first heard it in the movie, "Dead Poet's Society". (I thoroughly enjoyed that movie) Live in the moment. Today is all we have. Live with a joie de vivre...joy of life! Even amidst difficult circumstances...step outside them whenever possible and appreciate the beauty in simple things, the small pleasures of life... we all have those special things that bring a smile to our faces. Sometimes we get so caught up in the busyness or challenges of life that we forget what is around us...missing opportunities to receive a blessing in some way or from someone or to be a blessing...maybe making a profound difference in someone's life for the better.

Isn't it great that at any given moment in life we can choose to rise above circumstances, redirecting our paths for the better? We don't have to keep listening to the old tapes playing in our heads. We don't have to keep dancing the same dance. We can fly, fly, fly like an eagle if we choose to.

Today is a gift. Carpe diem!

7 comments:

Elaine said...

very well said, a thoughtful and thought-provoking post from one who does them so often.

SeaSpray said...

Thank you for your kind words Elaine. :)

Dr. Deb said...

What an inspiring post.

Jenster said...

AMEN! Loved this post. :o)

Chrysalis Angel said...

I'm not feeling like seizing the day today. Maybe I'll catch a second wind...seems I've miss placed my first. Two days and counting for me this week. So glad I have this blog to visit. You always brighten up my day!

Chrysalis Angel said...

Luc where are you??

SeaSpray said...

Hi Dr Deb and jenster-Thank you for your sweet comments. :)

Hi Chrysalis- I hope that you got your 2nd wind by now.

Something pulled me away last week that I HAD to attend to and then I used that momentum to throw my energy into some other things. If I came near the computer to blog or e-mail...I would have lost my focus for sure....because it is such a pleasure for me to blog both on my own and reading commenting on others. Now I have a lot of catching up to do but I also have some other things to attend to as well. Thank you for your sweet words. You always brighten my days too. :)