Saturday, November 17, 2007

Thanksgiving Pumpkin Cookies

The image “http://images.allrecipes.com/site/allrecipes/area/community/userphoto/small/4035.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Thanksgiving Pumpkin Cookies

(cookies in pic are similar yet different than mine)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Cream together: 1 cup shortening, 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup white sugar

Then add: 1 1/2 Cup of pumpkin and 1 egg (sometimes I add a bit more pumpkin, but not much more) Cream together

In a separate bowl mix together: 2 cups of sifted flour, 1tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1tsp. of cinnamon (I like cinnamon so I always add 1 heaping Tbs. instead of the tsp.)


Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture and mix well.

Then add 1 cup each of raisins, walnuts and butterscotch bits

Mix together and drop in tsp. on to cookie sheet. (can do Tbs. and bake longer - adjust time accordingly.)

Bake approximately 10 minutes - ovens vary (Cookies will rise and not spread out far and so you can get a lot on one pan)

While baking - make frosting

Frosting: heat on low - 3 Tbs. butter, 4 tsp. milk and add 1/2 cup of brown sugar. When cooler, add 1 cup of confectionary sugar and 3/4 tsp. vanilla.

Ice cookies while they are warm.

(I add and mix together as soon as everything is melted. Also, sometimes frosting starts to dry by the time ready for last batch and then I just stir in a small amount of milk.)

ENJOY! :)

p.s. I usually "only" make these for Thanksgiving and so they have become a Thanksgiving tradition that everyone looks forward to, which is a good thing since I DON'T do pies! :)

It's time to start baking the Thanksgiving Pumpkin cookies. Devan has been asking about doing that with me for a while now. :) Since I don't do pies these wonderful cookies have been my special tradition. I ONLY make them for Thanksgiving and once gone that is it, which is what makes them so special...well that and they're good as in decadent good. :) Everyone wants them and they go really fast. I have been making them since 1977 the 1st fall we moved into our house. Once a person stopped my husband when he was out somewhere and said he heard all about these good cookies I made. Evidently my husband's uncle raved about them to this guy. That warmed my heart. :) I never shared the recipe and no one else made them. Then about 5 years ago I brought the cookies up to the hospital and gave the recipe out as the requests came in. Now it's not so secret anymore. :) Last year for the 1st time I made them in December especially for urodoc's office and they really liked them. Oh and I made some for my private Doc in February. I think I will break tradition again and make them up until Christmas...I'll see. I will be seeing him at the end of the month and if I have time I will bring them another batch of pumpkin cookies. Last year I gave them a lot of food for Christmas but I think I will just do these cookies this time. I have fun bringing the food in my Longaberger baskets because a. I like to use them b. they're convenient c. they make a nice presentation and d. the ladies like the baskets. So it's just fun to do that for them. :)


I love this time of year! All the holidays, getting dark early, cold weather and being cozy. I'm grateful for our blessings and hope that I am a blessing to others-most of the time anyway. :)

5 comments:

passionstamper said...

how is it I've never had one of these infamous cookies? Maybe because my son always gets there and eats them all so there are never any left by the time I get there????? WELL! At least I have the recipe so my daughter and I will give it a try! And by the way, it is a blessing to have you for a friend (even if you never saved me one of these cookies-grrr)

SeaSpray said...

Hi Passionstamper - Actually I did send some over in the 90's -ok so it's been a while. So...evidently they weren't THAT memorable? ;)

I baked a pumpkin pie today but it was Marie Calendars which I think is actually good. Remember I don't do pies. Your apple pie is excellent...not overly sweet but naturally so. Reminds me of my grandmother's - trust me there is no better compliment. :)

Someday I will make the effort and learn how to make a good crust. Although I do meat pies. My grandmother and uncle made the best steak pies ever and I have the recipe buried somewhere.

passionstamper said...

Ooooh-I really should learn to make meat pies-our daughter LOVES chicken pot pies! (especially the freshly made ones from Costco!) Maybe I'll have to give that a try and surprise her!

Thanks for the compliment on the apple pie-my grandmother made the best! She could make the PERFECT dough-I remember watching her as a kid-and it looked SO easy to see her do it...the first time I tried it, by the time I added more flour cuz it was too moist, then added more water cuz it was now too dry, that ended up to be the worst pie crust ever! Now my friend's husband Dennis-he is a great apple-pie-making man! Geez..maybe I'll make one for Thanksgiving so my mom can try it-she is like you, Seaspray-doesn't like sweet pies...

I think I want to try making a pumpkin roll-had one from Weis and thought, this would be great to make-it was soooooooo good! (but home-made would be better!) :)

Chrysalis Angel said...

They look great Seaspray. Wow, I've been missing all your postings. I thought you weren't posting for a bit. Glad that's straightened out! Can't have my Seaspray feeling blue. I know you like the color and all, but it just isn't the right color of emotion for you. Sorry, I've been occupied of late.

SeaSpray said...

Yes Angel...I do love my blue. Interestingly I really like seeing guys in blue...don't know why. I prefer other colors on women though and myself. For me I love to wear Turquoise, soft pink, pastel yellow and winter white.

No...it was just that one misunderstanding bothering me that got worked out. I respect that person and so it hurt to think there could be a rift. Misunderstanding all the way around. :)