Friday, December 21, 2007

Back in the Saddle?

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/BC2285.JPG

Of course SeaSpray wants turquoise on her saddle...to match her signature turquoise Bajingoland glitter. ;)

I keep certain corporations bookmarked in my computer and review their job postings every week. I have been doing this since the summer of 06 even though I wasn't completely healed of the constricted ureter. I just want to see what is out there. I also follow the local paper and look at job searches on line. The last month there hasn't been ANYTHING and I assume that is because of the holidays.

This morning something came to my attention that really interests me and I called the HR department. The rep was quite enthusiastic when she heard my qualifications/experience and I mentioned some references as well. She also appreciated that I am at a marketable age in that my youngest just graduated high school and I am free. I can be very flexible although I was quick to state that I am not an 11-7 person although I have been known to stay over in a snowstorm (she laughed about that)and we discussed a little more. She is sending me an application and I need to revise my resume as one of the docs has moved out of state. I need to speak with the recruiter on Wednesday when everyone returns from the Christmas holiday.

I was also up front with the fact that I wasn't working now because of the urological medical issues I have had but had mentioned that I am doing better and will officially get the good news on Wednesday. It turns out that her husband also goes to my urologist and agreed with me that he is a very good doctor. I told her that the only thing that would preclude me from taking the job at this point would be the fact that I may be having an elective surgery but will find out more about that too. I told her I was also interested in another area perhaps along with the position that I am applying to. I inquired about floater/per diem availability too.

I think there was a good connection between us. We wished each other a Merry Christmas and said good bye. A minute later she called back and said she was so busy talking she forgot to ask for my address and was laughing about that too. Based on how she sounded on my answering machine and our overall conversations I would say that if it was up to her...I would be hired. Tis a good thing. :)

And now...I am getting cold feet. WHAT-IS WRONG-WITH-ME??? I can do the schmooze, sell myself and when I get in that mode no one would ever know that I am turning into jello on the inside.

Also, I have been a 3-11 girl for 20 years and if you count my time at ARC then 21 years. Although I also worked day hours the last 5 years with Lifeline but I usually didn't go in until 10 or 11 am. Funny thing-in my day job when most of the employees were anxious to pack up at 4:30 pm -I'd still want to keep working so I'd check to see if anyone was staying later and if they were then I was happy to keep working on things. I guess you could say that I am a lady of the evening by nature! ;) Am I being delusional to think I can do 7 am which with factoring in the commute time that I should be getting up at 4:30 and NO later than 5am? 8 am or 9 am entirely doable but 7am??? If I can do it then I will actually have a great schedule...assuming I get that position. I wanted to make the switch to only days for the last 3 years I worked at the hospital but never did.

As far as the fear factor...I know I just have to get back on the horse. I just hope I am picking the right horse and if I do then I am thinking the saddle will feel real good after I get broken into the new job(s). Yeeha!! :)

P.S. If anyone feels so inclined...I welcome any prayers for clarification on what choices I should make. Should I do the elective surgery now to get it out of the way before starting a new job knowing that down the road I will have to do it? Or should I put it off? I am interested in this job. Are my concerns ridiculous about starting at 7am after so many years of 3-11 or later? ( I would want to be there by 6:45am) Is it the right job for me when I had initially wanted to do something else?

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Without knowing what the elective surgery is about (and I am certainly not looking for information!), I get the impression that you are thinking of bringing it forward only so that you can wriggle out of this job with head held high.

After all you have already told the HR person about it, so if they take you on, they will not be shocked when the time comes to have the surgery.

So, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

And, Happy Christmas.

SeaSpray said...

Hi Elaine- I appreciate your shared observation and insight. Something to ponder. I suppose at a subconscious level that is what could be going on.

But...this is true of me. I can not stand to call out sick or to have to go out from a job other than vacation.

Regarding the surgery...I don't want to do it...but...if it can help me...then it is totally worth it. I will have a better picture for myself when I discuss it with my doc. I would NEVER put myself through that if not necessary.

I know I can easily get a job there if available but what is making me rush is the schedule on this particular one. The days are perfect! Ha!ha! Even though the thought of getting up at 4:30 sends ripples of fear through me. :)

I have this mentality that I want to get everything out of the way first but then it seems like something else always comes up too. Interestingly, she didn't seem to care about the possibility of an elective surgery and was eager to send the application.

I figure that I have already set things in motion and if the doors keep opening and nothing is stopping me then I will be in that new job soon. I will appreciate the money too even though I know even before talking to the recruiter that I won't get as much as I made at my old job. :)

I am ambivalent about it for sure.

Thank you for your insights and well wishes. Merry Christmas to you too Elaine. :)