Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Small Pink Mouse (revised)

The image “http://members.optusnet.com.au/we2/mouse.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Per Dr. Whitecoat's suggestion...I am posting what was a comment in his post "What Life is All About" over here in my SeaSpray blog. But before I get to the comment I just want to add a few things.

Those of you that know us, know what was going on at the time and it was a l-o-o-o-o-n-g 20 months. This post is about something that actually happened toward the end of the ordeal but there were other acts of kindness done from the beginning..right on through to the end. (I will talk about those sometime too)

Every note, card, letter, word of encouragement, all food, gifts and anonymous gifts were greatly appreciated and are still remembered even today. For as many words as you see me put down in these blogs...sometimes there are people or things that they have done that move me so deeply... that I feel anything I do, say or write can never truly convey the heartfelt gratitude I have felt and feel even now. This is true of things in my past and it is true with things that have been going on in the present. My entire life has been filled with people that have been blessings in various ways.

During this particular time...a judge befriended me. He had nothing to do with anything nor did he have any future influence on the case. He was a complete stranger that overheard a conversation in a public place that I was having with someone. After introducing himself he gave me his number that I could reach him anytime anywhere in the country and this was before cell phones were readily available. Believe me I called him and we'd have long conversations and I'd sob and sometimes he'd even get me laughing and he was so kind and he gave me hope. One night he said to me, "You know...I don't know what it is about you but you make someone want to help you." I don't know why either. I am just me and no one special and oh so flawed too.

Some people said that encounter was a coincidence, a chance encounter... but I believe it it was a "divine coincidence" because his support was one of the things that gave me the strength to follow through and keep going. It helped to know he was in the background. There were other key people too. And above all... I know it was God working through these people to help sustain us in various ways through the difficult times.

The reason "It's a Wonderful Life" is my favorite movie and is also why I named my blog the same is because I love and thoroughly believe the main message of the movie which is that we all are important. Each and everyone of us can and do make a difference in this life, affecting the present AND the future. It is an awesome thought when you take the time to really ponder it. And ...it is a responsibility... because we never know when even the simplest things to us may mean the world to someone else... or crush them like the proverbial final straw that breaks the camel's back. We don't know what is really going on in someone's heart...what burdens they carry. Are they lonely, grieving a loss or maybe they are stressed, hurt and angry or afraid but they live in their worlds of quiet desperation behind masques of smiles or stoicism. I am sure Whitecoat shoveling that driveway warmed someone's heart and who knows who else that random act of kindness will ripple outward toward?

*********************************************************************************

Comment I left on the Whitecoat Rant blog:

Our family received an anonymous act of kindness and it made me crazy wondering who had done it. It was back in the early 90s when we were going through that legal case I already mentioned a while back and we were definitely strained financially.

It was New Years eve and we had some friends and family over for dinner. My husband took a call from a man who said UPS left a package in our driveway. UPS wouldn’t have been delivering then. Anyway, my husband brought in this huge box that was wrapped and addressed from Santa.

There were two other children there aside from our two boys. Well the kids tore into that box and it was the box that kept on giving. It was FILLED UP with stuffed animals, games and also a cool toy gun that older son loved.

It took a couple of years for me to figure out and then our neighbor down the road was discussing something else and I put two and two together and so I asked him directly if they were the ones who did that. He tried to maneuver his way out of it but he evidently couldn’t get past my gazing right into his eyes searching his spirit to see if it matched his words. It didn’t and he owned up to it. Maybe I shouldn’t have done that but I just wanted to know.


One of the stuffed animals in the box was a small pink mouse. I took that for a decoration on our Christmas tree as a reminder of that wonderful act of kindness which was symbolic on many levels. To this day I still put it on our Christmas tree to remember how God brought us through a difficult time and to remind us that he sometimes works through people and that we should remember to do the same for others in need. That night after the kids opened the box I said “This is God saying…"Hold on…I am working on this.” and he did…he fixed it. :) That was New Years Eve 1992. I still remember that act of kindness and others and have reminded our sons that just as we were helped in our time of need, to remember how good that felt and to do the same to help others when they see a need. Younger son was a baby (2 years old when it started and he was 4 on this New Year's night) but I have told him often to teach him about giving) :)

*************************************************************************************

*I am going to finish decorating the Christmas tree. The tree is ALWAYS finished by the 15th and so I am not going to blog again until the tree is completely decorated and the storage tubs are in the attic. The lights are on and there are some ornaments on but at least a couple hundred more need to go on and then the glass icicles, beads and tinsel. (Younger son calls it a slutty tree because he doesn't like tinsel...but he's wrong...it's pretty and I don't even use a whole box on a big tree.) If I am not back... then I turned the tree around one to many times (last nite when husband wasn't home) and I am under it because it toppled on me or I am lost in our Bermuda Triangle attic.
Merry Christmas...just in case! :)

I will finish the Christmas tree post at some point. :)

6 comments:

Chrysalis Angel said...

What a great post for this time of year, any time of year. We never do realize how we touch another's life. I never forget the hurts, I forgive them, but I never forget them and all the good people that have been there and helped me are there as well. I think of both of them when I make decisions on how to respond to someone, both in RL and in blogland. The choices we make, another may carry with them from just one interaction or lack there of. Great post Seaspray.

Deb said...

I believe in the divine coincidence as well.

SeaSpray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SeaSpray said...

Thank you Angel. :)

Yes Dr Deb...they're awesome and exciting when you step back and see how everything fits together. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Seaspray...Can't believe I found my way here (your directions were worthy of mapquest) Let's see...a hint to my identity...are you a fan of that 50's singing group "the Duprees"?

SeaSpray said...

Hahaha! Perfect hint my anonymous friend! You must tell her I like that better than my last name. That is so cute-REALLY! :)

So...did I send you on the more circuitous route to get here? LOL! And now all you have to do is bookmark me. :)

Come back to visit...but remember...mum's the word with any comments that would identify anyone in real life. I am admittedly obsessive about that. :)

Seriously...it was neat having you come by for a visit. :)

And lunch...we must really do lunch or go to the Tea Hive or something. I also want every detail you can give me about the hospital.

I have decided that I want to do the surgery but just want to make sure about one concern. I left a message with the doc's medical assistant lat night and so hopefully today he will be able to allay one concern I have and if so then it is a green light!

That being said...I was thinking of going over to your HR with my application that I have been holding since December. I am wondering if they will consider me as a per diem or sub even if I am going to be out for surgery briefly. They wanted me to send it in back then even though they knew I might have the surgery. You know...foot in the door kind of thing? And if not...at least they will have a face to go with the application.

Haha! Also, I still have ALL my films from 2006 that I had to bring down to my other consulting urologist back in February 2007 and 3 hospital gowns to return. Also want to bring radiology some kind of food. I have been slowly bringing food to the different departments that have done testing or taken care of me. Everyone is so nice there and one of the reasons I am interested in joining your team. I'm going to the hospital HR website now. :)

LOL! I guess this is more of a phone conversation. I'll call you to tell you to read this. ;)