Friday, March 21, 2008

The Power of Music and Other Things (Juke Box)

The image “http://cheekeymonkey.typepad.com/cheekey_monkey_views/images/juke_box_shns.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
A friend sent this to me via e-mail and I thought I would share it with you. I've been having fun with it and hope you do too. Thanks Mary Jo! :)

Ha! Once I got past My Sharona, Jessie's Girl,We Will Rock You, and Springsteen among others, I used it for inspiration while writing my APB posts. I listened to songs from 1967 -1970 because some songs from that era evoke awful feelings in me and those were the feelings that I wanted to get in touch with.

Aquarius, Hey Jude, In The Ghetto, Love Child, Dedicated to the One I Love, Bridge Over Troubled Water...are a few of the songs that cause me to feel bad if I hear them. Now, I actually like a lot of songs from back then...so maybe it's because I didn't really like them anyway and I somehow lumped them in with my negative feelings about some things during that time. I loved the Stones, Hendrix, Doors, Credence, Beach Boys, Oldies and so much more.

But certain songs make me want to run out of the room. Haha! So does paisley and Nehru jackets!

I can't stand paisley. When I see paisley, I hear the Psycho tub Alfred Hitchcock music in my mind. I'm kidding! ;) But... I guarantee there is no paisley in our house and my husband doesn't own any paisley ties. A couple of years ago I ordered a pretty mauve spring coat from QVC and was disturbed when I saw it had a paisley lining. Ugh! Because I don't like sending things back ...I wore it... but every time...I had to get past the paisley. I know most people would disagree with me but I think paisley should be outlawed! I'm just sayin. ;)

I wonder...does anyone else have anything that they are sensitive to that gives them negative feelings because of past association?

I'm leaving for Costco soon to buy eggs to color among other things. I love that store!

4 comments:

John McElveen said...

I grew up with those songs. Music is such a powerful medium. It can bring back memories, sights, souns, smells and even tastes at certain times. There are songs that make my heart skip a beat and I think of a long lost Love, and others that instantly bring tears when someone sings praises to God!

I LOVE Music!

God Bless Sea,

Much Love and Happy Easter to You and Yours!

HE IS RISEN!!!!!


John

Chrysalis Angel said...

Happy coloring Seaspray. The smell of rubbing alcohol and markers...they make me feel nauseous reminding me of when they would access my port for chemo treatments.

Love music! Any kind, but opera...I just can not understand them.

SeaSpray said...

My girlfriend loves opera but sobs all the way through it because it reminds her of her deceased mother. I've never been to the opera but think I would enjoy it once I understood it better. I am taken with the voices when I do hear them but I never just listen to opera on my own.

I am sorry you had that experience Chrysalis. That's a tough past/present association to have.

To this day my stomach does a flip flop if I get a whiff of Seagram's Seven whiskey because the 1st time I ever got drunk and then sick was on that stuff. Although I did go through a short time when I drank Manhattans when I was with someone before I met my husband and once I got past the 1st couple of sips I was fine. And I will put it in my eggnog.

But I am a gin and tonic with a lime twist girl all the way, which I only have if I go out with the girls. I'm not a drinker but I do think I could fill my big water bottle up with that mixture. Wonder what THAT would do for the kidneys? ;)

SeaSpray said...

Yes it is a powerful medium.I go into a trance if I hear Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers. THAT is my absolute favorite romantic song! I loved that even when I was a little girl. That song melts me every time. :)

Thank you for your well wishes and Happy Easter to you and yours John. :)