Saturday, March 1, 2008

Thought Provoking

I have been thinking about Dr Schwab's "Funnyman" post and subsequent blogger comments all week. To say this post was thought provoking is an understatement. (I commented SIX times and believe that is a record for me on one post!) It is also not for the easily offended and he is upfront about it being "generally anti-religious". He asks sincere questions and yes ...shares his anger in this intended rant.

The comments are also interesting and in the latter part of this post... I have included a comment that I left in response to another commenter as well. Admittedly, my comments pale in comparison to many, as some of you could do intellectual circles around this girl. But...THIS is one of the things I LOVE about blogging...the intellectual stimulation even if it is sometimes out of my league. Y'all get me thinking! :)

I have the utmost respect for Dr Schwab, both as a physician and writer. A couple of weeks ago, I had what I consider a privilege, to speak with Dr S on blogtalkradio. During that discussion I mentioned that we were at opposite ends of the spectrum politically and I would say that we are theologically as well. That being said...I believe we can all learn from each other and this girl always has room for further understanding.

Theology is the most interesting topic to me. I don't pretend for a second to have all the answers or to know the mind of God in all matters. I do believe the Bible is a blueprint to help us mortals understand him and his plans but that we just aren't going to understand everything until we are on the other side of this life. That is where faith comes in or at least gives us peace to accept what we don't understand. Yes...the Bible was written by man, but I do believe it to be inspired by God himself.

I believe it is good to question and that we are to be discerning and not go with every changing wind that blows in front of us. I believe God loves everyone and will make himself known to anyone who sincerely wants to understand, but you have to be open minded and receptive to whatever source he may use to get your attention.

Funny, none of my comments were what I originally wrote but shelved in response to the good doctor's post. I find theology to be an inexhaustible topic. If you take the time to read the "Funnyman" post then I also encourage you to read the comments as well. Thought provoking I tell you!

Oh and Dr Schwab...if you happen to read this, I just want to say that God DOES have a sense of humor...he created SeaSpray! ;)

The following is the last comment I left to the Funnyman post today, in response to someone stating that God favored atheists:

"*I just want to say first that I am in no way singling out the 2 people involved in the missions that I mention, over any of the other people of all faiths, past and present who have also helped people in need through various means and circumstances.

*I used quotes from an article (2002) on the 1st page I googled. I have a wicked sore throat brewing or I would’ve taken the time to search for something more current.

The following is a quote from a commenter to this post: "And that's the only religious position I feel like defending. If there is a God, He favors atheists. Why? Because they are cruising around in His world, doing the best they can and coming to the only workable conclusion with the tools He gave them. They don't snivel and whine when things don't work out, they don't ask for handouts or guidance, and they don't go around trying to speak in his name. When God made atheists, dammit if they didn't hit the ground running!"

First of all, God through his word states that he is "no respecter of persons." God loves us ALL equally...believer and nonbeliever.

There are many wonderful people of ALL faiths doing wonderful work in the name of God. They sacrifice their time, energy, money, and sometimes their lives for the purpose of helping other people.

One DOES NOT have to believe in God to do good...but certainly because one does believe in God does not preclude them from the ability to ever do good. Where is the logic in that?

As far as asking for handouts...those handouts help to feed, house and clothe the poor, bringing medicine and education to them as well as dig wells, build hospitals, schools and so much more. Even bringing shoe boxes of toys, tooth brushes and school supplies to poverty stricken children for Christmas.

One organization I am thinking of is Sumaritan’s Purse. The following is a quote from an article on the web: “Samaritan’s Purse, headed by Franklin Graham, the son of evangelist Billy Graham, works in more than 100 countries around the world, helping victims of disasters, war, poverty, disease, famine, and persecution. In 2000 and 2001, Samaritan’s Purse was recognized by SmartMoney magazine as the most efficient religious charity in the United States.”

Here is just one example of how people of faith risk their lives for the good of their fellow man: ”BOONE, N.C., Sept. 26, 2002—The Government of Sudan’s jet bombers killed 13 civilians—including four children—in an attack Saturday, Sept. 21, on Lui, a village in southern Sudan where Boone, N.C.-based Samaritan’s Purse, an international Christian relief organization, operates a hospital." (Hasn’t our own government been remiss in getting involved here and yet these people are living it…risking their lives, everyday with the people in Sudan?)

(March 4th, 2000- the hospital was bombed along with 8 other targets in the village.)

“The 80-bed surgical hospital in Lui, opened by Samaritan’s Purse in 1997, is the only advanced medical care for the more than 400,000 people who live within a two-week walk of Lui. More than 40 international doctors have served there, including Sen. Bill Frist (R-Tenn.). Besides the hospital, the only other significant building in Lui is an Anglican church damaged by bombs during Christmas week of 2000.”

I did try to find something current about the hospital today but unable to find anything, but as I stated previously…I am feeling under the weather. Anyone interested could go directly to the Samaritan’s Purse site to learn more about the organization.

How about Mother Theresa who dedicated her life to helping the poor in India and was recognized for her efforts by being awarded with the Nobel Peace Prize?

These people aren't/weren't atheists.

And yes...there has been corruption through the ages in the church, but you have that in every profession because you are dealing with fallible humans making wrong and greedy choices.

Church missions as well as individual faith based missions do a lot of good around the world and if they ever stopped...there would be millions and millions more people suffering. Atheists are in the minority as compared to the number of people of all faiths.

Since atheists are in the minority,even if every single atheist were to kick in their resources of time, money, talents and energy for charity,I don't see how they could possibly accomplish all the good that people of all faiths have accomplished, especially without ever ASKING for a donation in whatever form. We don't live in a vacuum and we need each other… regardless of chosen faiths or not.

I hope this didn’t offend anyone. As always I welcome correction or additional enlightenment if I have misunderstood or misrepresented anything here. :)"
*************************************************************************************

I know this was all quite long if you read it all, but just thought it was all so interesting.

My next posts are about the possibilities with pt vs doctors in the speculum tug-of-wars. ;)

Today was my husband's birthday but we are celebrating it with family tomorrow. Of all times to be getting sick! I've got the appetizers done and am now going to start the sauce for the lasagne. I let it simmer a long time for maximum flavor and the meat becomes so tender.

http://images.replacements.com/images/images5/china/L/longaberger_woven_traditions_classic_blue_tureen_with_lid_ladle_and_underplate_P0000051790S0033T2.jpg

I also made an excellent chicken noodle soup today (says me) loaded with all kinds of vegetables and herbs/seasoning. Actually, 14 different vegetables, both fresh and frozen. The beauty of soups is that they are loaded with all the nutrients because everything is cooked in the broth. It feels so good on my throat that I wish I could have it continually irrigating my throat until the soreness goes away.

I have a pretty pottery Longaberger soup tureen and ladle to serve it in. I love this piece and mine is in the traditional blue pattern as seen in the above pic. It is quite large. I may also serve the soup tomorrow.

I have one concern. Our aunt has been wrestling with cancer since 9/06. She is so thin now, so very thin. They are giving her a rest from treatments. The cancer is still there after this last round of treatments. It's not worse and it is not better. I also noticed that she looked more yellow yesterday than when I had last seen her. I know that is because of the liver and they had said a while back it is in the liver. They told her last week that there are still more things they can do. She gets the results of her PET scan next week. Sigh...

I will call them in the morning to let them know that I have a bad sore throat. I will not hug her and will keep my distance over all and I am very careful about washing my hands. But I am concerned as to whether or not she should come in the house given her physical concerns at this time. I know she wants to but just hope she doesn't risk it if it is not a good idea.

She has such a beautiful spirit and and no matter what she is going through...never lets anyone know of her suffering and always has a beautiful smile for everyone.

6 comments:

Chrysalis Angel said...

I'm so sorry you're not feeling well, and I'm sorry to hear of your family members situation. I used to stay clear of others when my counts were down. You are very vulnerable to infections at those points.

I wish hubby a happy birthday! I hope you are able to enjoy some time with your family.

When you stop to think of all the disagreements that can go on between one another, and then you take a moment to really look at someone you love, that is struggling and sick...all the other nonsense we do to one another for any reason...needs to gooo A -way!

Jenster said...

HIya, Seaspray!

I think your response was perfect. Just perfect!

I'm sorry you're under the weather and I'm also sorry to hear about your aunt. Just like Chrysalis Angel - I stayed away when my counts were down, too.

I hope your family day is wonderful!

SeaSpray said...

Hi Chrysalis Angel - Thank you both for your thoughtful words and well wishes.

As it turns out, two aunts, my m-i-l and my mother aren't coming over. They don't want to risk getting sick. My m-i-l lives with her sister that has the cancer and the other aunt drives her to the treatments.

My mother is 84 and shouldn't be exposed uneccessarily. It's just a cold but at their age a uri can take a lot out of them.

I am still making the lasagne (sauce cooked to perfection) and son and family coming over. I am just dragging a little. I kept pushing myself to have almost everything done and ready before I went to bed.

SeaSpray said...

Oh and Jenster thank you for your comment about my response. I wanted to be fair about it all. I don't think these things are ever black and white.

No one always does something and no one never does something.

No one side has all the answers the right or wrong ones.

And whether we like it or not...we will never have total understanding in some things until we are on the other side of this life. But that doesn't mean we should stop seeking the answers. God created us with brains to reason with. He gave us our curiosity and desire to learn and search for answers. I also have no problem reconciling God with science.

I think it takes more imagination to think there is no God then to acknowledge and appreciate the many wonders surrounding us and beyond and to know that the possibilities are endless...in this life and the next.

John McElveen said...

Very late response but what a wonderful defense of our Faith.

That is as fine a representation and response as could be written...from the Heart, by the Spirit. Well done Godly Woman. Well done!!!

Bro in Christ,

John

SeaSpray said...

Well thank you John. I wanted to be fair and thought it was important to present a more balanced picture.

I don't know that I am a Godly woman but rather a work in progress. I have a strong faith in God but oh so human.