Monday, April 7, 2008

Guess I Don't Watch Enough TV...

The image “http://www.sashley.com/images/scales_of_justice.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
I guess I don't watch enough TV, because I don't understand how a man can murder his wife by shooting her in the head while she's sleeping, and then be released on $500,000.00 dollars bail and then allowed to go live back in his house, in the community. ??? (I know...everyone is entitled to and should have a fair trial and it takes a while to build a defense, gather evidence and everything has to go through proper channels and it has to be proven in a court of law.)

Back in February, he allegedly murdered his wife and then had a failed suicide attempt after shooting himself in the head. He had been in the hospital and then sent to rehab. Last week after being discharged from rehab he was arrested near his home and charged with first degree murder of his wife and unlawful use of a weapon.

I do not want to be of a lynch mob mentality but I am being frank with you when I tell you that it is disturbing not only to me but others as well. We all know this family and cross paths with them and so it is close to home and not some strangers you hear about on the news. While it appears to have been a domestic situation...what assurance is there that this person won't snap and be a danger to himself or others?

I mean...c'mon...it would seem this was premeditated and cold blooded. She had no chance for self defense!

A person simply can not be in their right state of mind if they perpetrate a crime such as this. And so what is to say that house arrest is a deterrent? According to the paper he hasn't had a mental evaluation yet. So...how do you release a person who at the very least, you suspect committed a murder and was suicidal before evaluating them? Why would the authorities/medical personnel do that???

OK...innocent until proven guilty. But what if? What if he killed her?

I would think that the police could prove this forensically. Gun powder, position of body, trajectory of bullet, etc., but maybe it's not as black and white as it would seem.

This latest information was published in the papers over the weekend. His lawyer indicated this case could take a while.

My heart does go out to the family. I am so very sorry this happened. I do not wish them any more pain. And I do not want to see an innocent man prosecuted unjustly.

I also don't want to see anyone else harmed.

2 comments:

Rositta said...

I thought stuff like that only happened in Canada, out on bail, I mean. It's done here all the time and it sucks...ciao

SeaSpray said...

I know it is innocent until proven guilty and it should be, but my understanding is everything points toward him and yet they have to prove it. Plus there's other stuff that I am not saying and was not publicized.

And if he didn't do it then someone else is out there.