Tuesday, April 8, 2008

N-o-o-o...I'm Not A Wino Part III :)

The image “http://www.adamswakeboardschool.com/images/monaviepic1.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
Here is what this post was really supposed to be about before I digressed. I already established that I am not much of a drinker when it comes to alcoholic beverages. However, this past January... I decided that I would start drinking wine for medicinal purposes.

I didn't research it. I was just going by what I vaguely remembered about things I have heard or read- that red wine in moderation is supposed to be good for you. I was thinking about the fact that I have mild hypertension and I have some circulation concerns that seem to have exacerbated since blogging. No doubt from sitting at the computer too long and not getting up to move around for such long periods of time. I have brought it up to 3 different doctors and none of them have seemed concerned but I just want to rule some things out and that there is nothing to worry about. I did have an appointment scheduled to see a vascular doc back in March but canceled because I had gotten sick with a virus, but then never rescheduled. (I think I am afraid he is going to say no more blogging for you! ;) I will reschedule this month after I do our taxes.

So one night after dinner I went to a liquor store. It was actually kind of embarrassing because I didn't have a clue what to buy and so the clerk was telling me about different wines and I finally settled on a couple of different bottles. I felt like I should know this.

So I made my purchase and headed for home.

Upon arriving home, I immediately pulled out a pretty crystal wine glass. Then I realized I didn't have anything to remove the cork and now the liquor store was closed. Not to be thwarted from my new health mission, I rummaged through the drawers until I found a bottle opener that had some kind of screw thingy that I guessed was for removing corks. Yeah... maybe for BARBIE wine bottles!

I couldn't get it to screw inward. The cheap thing was bending with pressure. I was afraid I was going to get screwed the more I wrestled with it and end up in the ER! Frickin cheap screw! It didn't matter if I screwed it in or pulled it out...it bent in either direction. So in frustration, I was now trying to screw it inward even though the top half was bent over. I can tell you right now that screwing with something bent over doesn't work! This made it more difficult because I didn't have the same leverage as when it is going straight in. Once I got it screwed in a bit more, I put it between my legs and tried to pull it out. So then I tried putting it under my arm for a different kind of leverage but it was definitely better between my legs.

Now I was sweating and frustrated but oh-so-DETERMINED! And forget doing all this on the counter! I tried that in the beginning but it was too high for me to get the right leverage and when I tipped it a bit I was afraid it would slide right out of my hands across the counter. It was definitely at a better angle between my thighs. In retrospect...I think I should have tried it in the sink or on a chair because they were lower. And even between my thighs, I was constantly concerned that it would quickly pop out and possibly cut me on the way out.

Not to be thwarted for long...I got the idea to rotate it! Now it seemed to be coming out. YES! N-O-O-O! Only part of it popped out along with some tiny pieces. It wasn't screwed in far enough! Then I got a knife...a long skinny one and plunged it back in while on the counter. I tried rotating it around, cutting it and rocking it but to no avail. I gave up and pulled it back out. I was ready to christen the sink with the darn bottle!

And then...I remembered that I still had a neighbor's wine bottle opener from a few years back. (Sorry M, but I did tell you and then forgot about it) Voila! It popped right out. Forget the crystal glass...I took an immediate swig right out of the bottle...tiny cork pieces and all! I figured it really was medicinal because it was probably countering what must've been an elevated BP by then.

But then I poured the wine into my pretty crystal glass and put together a small plate of cheese and crackers with a few grapes. I went into the family room, put my feet up and finally relaxed.

I didn't have cheese every nite. I had 1 or 2 glasses of wine maybe 4 nights a week if that. I never did look up what amounts you are supposed to have but it didn't matter because after about a month...I stopped drinking it. I just can not handle that taste so often! I guess you could say I got wined out! :) AND...I gained 10lbs! So much for the benefits of drinking wine.

But then about a month later, thanks to a most gracious person, I was able to get a case of the MonaVie health drink. I had been wanting to try it ever since I read about it over at the Happy Hospitalist's blog, but it's expensive. Anyway, as fate would have it someone I know kindly offered me some from their personal stock.

As you can see from the picture above it looks like a wine bottle. I took one bottle from the case and put it in the fridge to chill. I was drinking the recommended amount of 2 oz in the morning and 2 oz in the late afternoon. (BTW...the energy and clarity of mind I experienced was amazing!) I have this metal 1 oz/2oz shot measurer that I just drank my 2 oz right out of and then rinsed it. I had been doing this for a week or so and then one night noticed my husband was looking at me funny. Ha ha! I figured he thought I was still drinking wine but now I was so desperate for it that I was now drinking it by the shots! LOL! I quickly told him it was a health drink and he looked relieved.

I also never thought about the fact that younger son must have been wondering what I was doing too. He is usually home in the morning working on his laptop before he leaves for class and so he evidently had been watching me pour the MonaVie into the shot measurer too and then drink it down while I was standing at the sink. However, none of this occurred to me and about 3 weeks into it, one morning after I swigged my shot serving down, I hear him say, "MOM! WHAT are you DOING?" I turned toward him and saw that he had a concerned look on his face. I then said this is a health drink- a juice that is good for you (he also looked relieved) and then proceeded to tell him more than he wanted to know about the acai berry.

My poor guys...because I drank wine some evenings back in January...they thought that I had now taken to drinking morning and night! Gee...I wonder if they were each thinking I was turning into a wino and in need of an intervention?

Haha...not to worry...if it were wine...the price of MonaVie would prevent me from ever needing an intervention! ;)

*If you are interested in the MonaVie product, go to the link I provided to the Happy Hospitalist and you can read about it there. You can also follow his weekly progress with the product which he has listed on his side bar and you can also find links to the MonaVie site.

I am out of the product now, but hope to drink it again at some point in time. I do believe that I benefited from the product.

Honestly...part of me didn't want the MonaVie to work because it's too expensive and the other part of me wanted it to live up to it's reputation because I wanted to feel better.

The one thing I do wonder is if taking pure acai berry supplements would offer the same benefits? It should be a quality product- but then how do lay people really ascertain that...the quality I mean?

7 comments:

Martin Johns said...

I hope this product works for you. I have been looking at it. One thing that I wonder about are the consumer reviews out there. For example, at http://www.nutritionaltree.com, there are a lot of people talking about it and they seem to be all over the map about how it works.

Deb said...

I started eating chocolate for medicinal purposes too.

SeaSpray said...

Hi Martin J - I am out of the product now but very much want to try it again.

I went over to check out some of the comments and found them to be interesting.

I do wonder when I reading these things how many are honest opinions of the product vs promoting or trashing for personal gain.

I am using myself as my own test project and I can tell you that after not having it for a week now I am missing the effects it seemed to have on me.

Thanks for the site recommendation - I bookmarked it for future reference. :)

I will do a post on my experience with the MonaVie product sometime soon.

Thanks for stopping by. :)

SeaSpray said...

Hi Deb -Your a girl after my own heart. Mmmm..love dark chocolate, particularly mint. :)

Jenster said...

Hey! It's 5:00 somewhere!! A.M., P.M. - does it really matter??

Todd and I have started FRS and I could tell a difference immediately.

Jenster said...

Here's a link for FRS - http://www.frs.com/

It's full of antioxidents and was originally made to help chemo patients with their immune system and fatigue. If you go to their website you can request a free two week sample. Todd and I both noticed a difference immediately.

SeaSpray said...

DONE! Jen-thank you so much for the suggestion! I ordered it, read the site and am anxious to try it. I would like to take a nutrition course or something that would help me better understand the quality/reliability of certain products and then because we are individuals there still could be other variables involved.

Certainly a lot cheaper than Monavie but it is probably apples and oranges. I do believe I benefited from it.

I also might go back to the Herbal Aloe Force because that is also a good product. The problem is I think the products do different things AND similar things. But anything extra gets excreted out of the system anyway. I do believe the aloe was instrumental in facilitating healing in my ureter.

Thanks again Jen!