Saturday, April 12, 2008

You can't count your litter box... (REVISED)

http://www.unwind.com/jokes-funnies/images/litter.jpg

It's THAT time of year again and is one of the reasons I have been MIA in visiting my favorite blogs.

This year's taxes have been particularly stressful because of financial changes and different life events and so I have been scrambling to get the necessary info and still have to go through receipts. Also need to do son and Mom's taxes although those should be a no brainer.

I spent half the day yesterday on the phone with investment companies because I was trying to get info on our stock we sold last fall, purchases dating back to the late 70's etc., for the cost basis. Long story short...it changed hands a few times and no companies have access to the info except for the most recent dating back to 2005. One company said for a fee, they "may" be able to get the information. So...I am thinking that since we didn't get that much money that maybe I am jumping through hoops for nothing. By the time I pay for the records and for the extension...maybe it wouldn't matter that much anyway as far as affecting our tax bracket. Shhh...that's what I am telling myself anyway. You don't want to ruin my pseudo bliss. :)

I couldn't carry over last years tax info because computer crashed this summer during a lightening storm and when son retrieved the info he didn't add that. But I have inputted the info and now just have to find and tally the receipts and perhaps a couple of calls on Monday. So I am ahead of myself this year in that I am not doing it the night before.

Then last night, to my abject horror..a storm knocked our computer off (electric went off) and I thought I lost everything PLUS the computer and here I am doing the taxes AND there not DONE yet! Needless to say...this girl's stressometer skyrocketed! Son...insisted I leave it off but I am happy to say that both sons got it up and running this morning. Thank you boys! :)

The following is an excerpt from last year's tax post in which I recount my first experience with using a computer (90's) to do my taxes that were do the next day:

The only other time I was up all night was the first year that I used the Turbo Tax program back in the 90's. I had worked in ED registration on the 3-11 shift and so as soon as I got home I started doing the taxes. I had everything together, but was going slowly as I wasn't familiar with it and I was reading everything. Around 1:30-2am, I went to get some jelly beans from the kitchen. As soon as I came into the computer area, the light flickered. I turned to look at the light and almost simultaneously thought " Oh no! I hope the comp..." Too late! It crashed and I didn't think to back anything up and I lost everything. Suffice it to know that everything was printing as the birds were waking and the early morning sun began peeking into the room. I didn't realize the state program wasn't included and so had to do that the old fashioned way and fast!

So, except for that year and this year - tax time is usually uneventful other than the fact that I procrastinate in doing them.

4 comments:

SeaSpray said...

Blogger Elaine said...

Briliant!

April 12, 2008 3:40:00 AM EDT
Delete
Blogger SeaSpray said...

I feel like throwing my tax paperwork in the litter box and burning it. Ahhh... this too shall pass.

Glad you liked it. :)

April 12, 2008 11:56:00 AM EDT

SeaSpray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rositta said...

Yup, it's the pits isn't it. I'm getting tax stuff ready for the accountant for tomorrow and it is stressful. I'm also doing my Mom's and my husbands business stuff. I don't input on the computer so I have a ton of receipts to go through. Oh well, that's life...ciao

SeaSpray said...

Hi Rositta-It feels good to hear I'm not the only one who procrastinates with this stuff. Why do i do this? I don't know! All I need to do is designate one of my Longaberger baskets for a handy catchall for anything tax related if I don't want to fuss with individual folders etc. I start out that way and then stop as the year goes on.

I hope it all goes smoothly for you Rositta. :)