Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Check these out!

Have you ever heard of mint.com or pandora.com?

I read about mint.com in our local newspaper and am having fun with it. Unfortunately, it doesn't have my small bank on board yet and so I can't do all I want with the site. I haven't had time to set it up the way I want to, but I do appreciate the visuals and up to date info it retrieves. Amazing really! And I checked it tonight and it shows that my Home Depot transaction I discussed in the previous post went through. And actually I had been wondering why the amount I paid onto the account didn't show all week but I was new to this. Now I know it works quite well and I will be alerted in advance if a payment didn't go through.

I know in my previous post I ranted about the mistakes made by Home Depot's financial company and they were frustrating, but I am also having to clear up some financial things I let slide and see this as the perfect tool to assist me. AND...IT'S FREE!!

Pandora is great too. You can set up your own nonstop music stations in the genre of your choice. It's a great way to introduce you to different artists with similar styles or to branch out into something totally new.

I didn't use it correctly at first.

For example...I like the song "How to Save a Life" by the Fray, but then it doesn't play that song. Instead my music station gets called: How to Save a Life, but it only plays other songs from that band or other artists with similar music. Although, I also set up a station called the Fray and I get a lot of their songs, including How to save a life and also other artists.

Then you can let the station play as long as you like. If you want to remember a song for purchase, you can save it but then it doesn't play anymore and you can then only listen to an excerpt. So I pretty much just let it play like a radio except it is nonstop music. If something comes on that I don't like I can mark it thumbs down and it won't play anything like that. Conversely if I vote thumbs up-it will play more like it.

Or if you put in a particular song with the artist you like...it will not play that but will give you other artists doing the same song.

You can't repeat songs but they will eventually repeat again if you remain on the same station you created.

I have contemporary artists, classical (listening to some beautiful piano now) Christmas, oldies, etc. and am enjoying it.

Whatever your mood...there is something for you! Have fun with it. :)

2 comments:

Deb said...

I will checka the links out now.

SeaSpray said...

Hi Deb-They're pretty cool. I am actually in awe of the mint.com. :)