Monday, May 5, 2008

Life Isn't a Dress Rehearsal (Revised)

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within."
~ Elizabeth Kubler Ross ~
“Don't wait until everything is just right. It will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles and less than perfect conditions. So what. Get started now. With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, more and more self-confident and more and more successful.” ~ Mark Victor Hansen ~

I tend to put things on hold waiting for the "perfect" conditions. I often say "In my perfect world..." except there is no perfect world. If I just meet this goal first, or get these things organized or change that, then I will do this, the thing I really want to do... when I get all these other things done first.

I would do well to remember that life isn't a dress rehearsal
.

4 comments:

Jenster said...

Are you me?? I'm the same way. You'd think after my last three years I'd be more about seizing the moment. Sadly, I'm not. I want to be, though.

SeaSpray said...

Carpe diem! (seize the day!)We're kindred spirits! The night I met my consulting urologist who thought I should do the surgery...I said I had some things I had to get in order first. Ha! He shot me a look like he thought I thought I was going to die and so it was that kind of "getting things in order", but it wasn't. I said...oh no not that...I have to get taxes together and paint." and he still looked like he didn't believe me.

Now...I actually was afraid but that isn't why I stalled unless it was a subconscious move on my part.

I just wanted to know things were done so I could relax and not worry about them during my recuperation.

I also did that the night before I was supposed to go in to have the big stent removed. I stayed up until 4:30 to get all the tax info together for that year so that my husband would have everything if he needed it.

I am doing it now as far as having the urology surgery 9well that and I don't know) and getting a job!

WhiteCoat said...

Very cool quotes.
I try to live my life the same way.
Lawn isn't perfect? So what? I got to play ball with my kids yesterday. Laundry isn't folded and put away? We had a movie night together last night.
Grass and laundry can wait. Family can't.

SeaSpray said...

Thanks WhiteCoat! I agree.Someone told me once That you can never go back (in reference to the kids)and so I tried to make decisions based on that. It helped me keep things in perspective but hindsight being 20-20 ..I still see where I fell short and wish I could have a do over.

Your kids won't remember the perfect lawn or folded laundry but they will remember dad playing ball and watching movies for a family night. Your building memories. :)