Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Stented and Don't Know It???



As some of you know I recently had a ureteral stent placed in me and I will post soon about what happened. I am always interested in learning information on ureteral stents and appreciate this post put up by Dr Keagirl tonight called "Retained Stent" over at her Urostream blog.

Interestingly...I owe my blogging hobby to being stented. And as I have stated before, one day I was looking up urology info back in October 2006 when I accidentally landed on Dr Keagirl's Urostream blog and the rest is history. :)

Has anyone passing through here ever had a ureteral stent? When I was first going through my urology issues, I wished I had someone to commiserate with. I would still be interested in hearing urology stories, particularly about your experience with ureteral stents. How did you feel when you had them and what did it feel like when the doctor removed it? Why were you stented?

I am truly astounded that there are people out there who don't know or forget they have a stent. I honestly can't fathom that. How is that possible? Are their kidneys and bladders the size of the Grand Canyon and the stents are just lost in there?

While looking for a radiology picture with a stent, I came across people talking about 18mm kidney stones (YIKES) and others that have a certain kind of stent that they have to pull out of themselves hard and fast. Are they kidding?? I would refuse! WHY would someone have to do that themselves?? No thank you...a masochist... I am not. My Doctor had medical training to remove stents, thank you very much!

If I EVER had to remove my own stent..I guarantee you that I could be in the Guinness book of records for longest stent removal time. Time recorded to beat? ETERNITY!

4 comments:

Chrysalis Angel said...

I'm sorry you have to deal with that at all. We don't realize how lucky we are when everything is working correctly. I hope you are feeling better.

SeaSpray said...

Hi Angel-I agree...it's easy to take things for granted when everything is going well...no matter what it is.

Thank you. I feel better than when I got home and I find with a stent that I have good moments and not so good. Definitely puts a damper on things. That's why I am FLOORED that anyone could possibly not know..or forget they have a stent. I wonder what kind they have, do they have a high tolerance for pain or do they have some form of dementia? Seriously!?

AND...it makes me wonder what is wrong with me although I know Keagirl once said stents aren't easy. And my urodoc once told me he was proud of me when I had the big stent. I was relieved to hear that because I didn't understand why I could hardly do anything with that one and that was even with Percocet.

I just hope this is correctable...whatever is going on. I really have to stop doing this. My health (can't keep getting dangerous blood infections) and it is so expensive even with insurance!

Still..how do they do it???

Chrysalis Angel said...

It doesn't sound like an easy thing to go through. When is your next check?

SeaSpray said...

I see my urodoc on the 23rd and go back to OR on 26th.