Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Vegetables Anyone?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1395/707115603_971f8c3ab6.jpg

We have such an abundance of cucumbers, zucchini and yellow squash right now that we can't give it away fast enough!

I wish I could put out a cyber vegetable stand and you all could come get as much as you want.

It is all so fresh. The smell, taste and crisp factor is incredible and I wish everyone had the opportunity to have vegetables so fresh and sans pesticides.

We don't have a freezer and so can only freeze so much. I grated 2 cup portions of zucchini for zucchini bread this winter. And I made the most EXCELLENT (says me) zucchini parm last week..it was restaurant worthy.

I may try canning some tomatoes again this summer. I did 49 quarts in the summer of 81...and then never did it again. Guess that did me in. :)

I also want to try making my own bruschetta and gazpacho when all the tomatoes are ripening.

The deer ate our pepper plants though. We also have some corn, beets and I am not sure what else.

Also my herb garden is doing well and we have been enjoying adding them into our meals.

Does anyone have a zucchini boat recipe that they enjoy? If you do..please share. :)

Oh and the lilies are so prolific. What outstanding plants they are this year! We have various kinds that I ordered off of QVC one year in a variety pack and I have to say they are superb.

The sunflowers are blooming now too. We used to grow them all over the yard..all sizes. My favorites are the tall, large ones. Their big heads remind me of happy faces and the birds enjoy the seeds. Did you know they turn their heads to follow the sun?
Sunflowers Follow the Sun
Sunflowers follow the sun

There is the rumble of thunder in the distance and the night bugs are singing their tune.

I do love summer! :)

4 comments:

Elaine said...

Wow, what size of garden do you have? Sounds more like a farm...

SeaSpray said...

Hi Elaine..I answered your comment with my next post. :)

KELLY said...

While I don't have a "zucchini boat" recipe...I will share with you my absolutely FAV way to eat zucchini!

Slice up zucchini, yellow squash, & tomato. Layer veggies in a glass baking dish and sprinkle with a little grated parmesan cheese. Cover. Microwave for about 8-10 minutes (depending upon the amount of veggies you use)....and "bingo"....you have a really easy side dish for your meal. This is one of my favorite way to eat zucchini & squash.

BTW, I am absolutely LOVING my new job working with the "doc"...God is so good!

SeaSpray said...

Kelly-I knew with your attitude and experience that you'd land a medical job! It's a blessing when you get to work with people and an environment that you like! That was a gift dropped right in your lap. :)

I hope that happens to me again too. :)

Unless something grabs my attention before..I do plan on early October to get something. I pray that I will be a blessing to my new employer and co-workers and that the will to me too. At this stage of my life I am ready to look at something I enjoy until I retire. :)

I do sometimes toss parmesan/romano cheese with Zucchini but have never layered the veggies with the cheese like that or cooked it in the microwave. That does sound easy and will try it tonight. We have squash on out counter and more to be picked now.

I hate waste and we really can't give it away fast enough! :)

And when you think of hungry people around the world..it just doesn't seem fair either.