Monday, October 27, 2008

Scrubs "Like A Surgeon" & Post (revised)



I know this, but watching the Scrubs clip again (funny!), it strikes me that patients place so much trust in their surgeon(s). They ultimately surrender their bodies... leaving themselves totally vulnerable to whatever may happen... of course all the while hoping, praying and believing for a good outcome.

And the surgeons...they are a breed of their own. Certainly most people don't have the courage, skill or stamina involved for plunging a sharp instrument into someone, cutting them open ... working inside the patient to facilitate healing (sometimes with long hours and physical discomfort); all the while knowing all the risks involved to the patient and for themselves if things go south. Aside from the possibility of anesthesia complications, I've read that the buck stops with the surgeon in the OR. There are all kinds of gifts that people are born with that they then cultivate, usually through dedication and hard work. Surgical skills is one of them for sure.

It must be exhilarating to know they've saved a life (all areas of medicine) or given a patient a better quality of life because of their skills. It must be so cool to hold gallbladders, hearts and kidneys in their hands...to name just a few.!

One of the things that intrigues me is that surgeons have to be able to visualize 3 dimensionally.

Hmmm...I thought you just had to be male to do that? I'm KIDDING! ;)

I remember Dr Sid Scwab over in his Surgeonsblog writing about surgeons needing to view the patient 3 dimensionally. I don't recall from what post though. Okay... I am still a surgical groupie and I love that I get to read about these things in medical blogdom. :)

I have been a frequent flier to the OR, but fortunately only 2 were open surgeries and they were for C-sections. Now I am trying like heck to avoid a major surgery. So far...so good. May it stay that way.

I ve' read through various blogs over time where they have reduced the hours worked by surgical residents with the idea that there will be less chance of surgical errors because they are so overworked and sleep deprived. That makes sense to me.

But then I have also read (I wish I could remember the recent post and by whom) that the surgical training is rigorous. They want to weed out the ones who can't cut it. My understanding is because surgeons are thrust into an arena where literally not only are their skills important, but they must have the ability to overcome any adversity thrown at them...physical and emotional... so they can stay focused on the job at hand.

The other side of this is that if you have doctors who aren't used to the grueling hours they would've had in surgical training... then are these same surgeons going to be as capable of being working all day, being on call for surgery, then having to go to work the next day etc., and does that cause what was ultimately intended for good (reduced surgical training hours) to potentially cause more harm to patients?

I read about a surgical resident that said she was so exhausted when her shift was done, that on her drive home...she kept falling asleep at all the red lights.

Truly a profession not for the faint of heart.

The Weird Al version is the best (cause he's so goofy), but he has blocked embedding in youtube and so I am putting up the Scrubs version...which is also good. I love that show! :)

3 comments:

Jedi Master Daryl said...

Well, what choice do the sick have? When a doctor tells you "if you don't have this surgery, you will die," that tends to motivate people to sign waviers!

With what I've been through, I love the chance to suck down that sleepy gas! I realize that with good anesthesia, you feel and remember none of it. Although waking up is a bitch... LOL!

"Here's your incentive spirometry!" "Let's go take a walk around the nurse's station!" LOL!

SeaSpray said...

Ha-my urologist could attest to my being the queen of surgical avoidance! He,is a surgeon who has worked with me and shares my concerns about a high risk surgery. I see it as an absolute last option when there is no other way out.

It causes me to respect him more. Yet I also know that he might feel I have no other choice. We're not there yet.

Thanks for stopping by Daryl. :)

SeaSpray said...

I am just not a white flag girl. ;)I can't stand to not be in control and hate the surrender. But it comes down to that in the end. Also hate the thought of being so breezy because of drugs that I spill secrets or do embarrassing things. Ignorance is bliss.

I definitely have a control issue with not being alert and oriented because of drugs. I have written some humorous posts about it too. :)

But ultimately... no matter how I felt... I have to have that moment of surrender.

i hear you about walking around after surgery. That first time up is a BITCH. but ya gotta do it and each time gets better.

I actually think the gas pains were worse than my abdominal incision pain.

Oh... and don't like doing the coughing either.

May we not have to do it ever again. :)