Saturday, November 1, 2008

Not Mellow

My mother fell out of her wheelchair at the nursing home this evening. I happened to call just after it happened and the nurse stated that she was alright... except for her dignity according to my mother.

I have tried...unsuccessfully to call the nurses station for a follow up to see how she is now, but can't get an answer at the nurses station. Can I assume no news is good news?

I have not been there since Tuesday because I have a cold and did not want to bring it in to her or her roommate. I will be going over tomorrow and will keep my distance.

I understand her roommate notifies the nurses when my mother needs assistance and they both look out for their other roommate. I wonder...is my mother capable or just letting the other lady help her.

I wonder how long she would have been on the floor if the roommate didn't walk down and get someone?

On the one hand I feel like I am building a relationship with staff which gives me the sense they are aware and looking out for her and yet... I still have my reservations about her staying there permanently.

Still I often see the phone ringing, the bells going off a long time and no staff to be seen. I have walked to the desk to get something for my mother, looked down both halls and still no staff to be seen. I am sure they must be short staffed.

A neighbor stopped by last night and informed me that her mother had worked there years ago and they were short staffed then. This neighbor suggested another place that I will look into.

And hey...I know the fall could happen anywhere.

I have had my doubts about a long term stay there anyway.

And hopefully it will be a moot point and she will surprise all of us and she will come home.
***********************************************************************************
So much for mellow. The wine was blech! I'd rather drink Robitussin. I bought it for cooking. I don't know wines and so let the salesperson pick it out... and it was for a recipe and so I should have figured I wouldn't like it.

Who am I kidding anyway? I am not going to be mellow until Wednesday..the day after the election.

And political junkie that I am...I opted to put talking heads on discussing the election instead of watching my programs I saved on Tivo. :)

6 comments:

passionstamper a/k/a/ Debbie VG said...

I'm so sorry to hear your mom fell Seaspray! My goodness...it must be frustrating having to deal with all this so suddenly. I'll say a prayer for her...also, I need her address so I can send her a card to help cheer her up! (handstamped, of course!:) Wanted to let you know that I *tagged* you on my blog...so now "you're it"! You can find out what you have to do by visiting my blog http://debbiestamps.com Also, check out the Halloween decor photos. If Chrysalis is reading this, please email me-I can't view your blog and can't get past the sign-in info!

passionstamper a/k/a/ Debbie VG said...

one more thing I forgot Chrysalis-I tagged YOU too! Didn't realize you've added the invitation only to view your blog....

passionstamper a/k/a/ Debbie VG said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SeaSpray said...

You can just give the card to me and I will bring it to her. I know she will appreciate it. Your cards are always beautiful. Thank you. :)

Thanks...I will play soon. :)

passionstamper a/k/a/ Debbie VG said...

ok-thanks! Hope you are feeling better?????

SeaSpray said...

Hi passionstamper-yes, thanks to Zicam I am. :)