Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving Pumpkin Cookies

The image “http://images.allrecipes.com/site/allrecipes/area/community/userphoto/small/4035.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
For starters... I should take a picture of my own cookies this year. :) maybe I will. This is a repeat post from last Thanksgiving, but I am changing a few things in my comments.

Thanksgiving Pumpkin Cookies

(cookies in pic are similar yet different than mine)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Cream together: 1 cup shortening, 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup white sugar

Then add: 1 1/2 Cup of pumpkin and 1 egg (sometimes I add a bit more pumpkin, but not much more) Cream together

In a separate bowl mix together: 2 cups of sifted flour, 1tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1tsp. of cinnamon (I like cinnamon so I always add 1 heaping Tbs. instead of the tsp.)


Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture and mix well.

Then add 1 cup each of raisins, walnuts and butterscotch bits

Mix together and drop in tsp. on to cookie sheet. (can do Tbs. and bake longer - adjust time accordingly.)

Bake approximately 10 minutes - ovens vary (Cookies will rise and not spread out far and so you can get a lot on one pan)

While baking - make frosting

Frosting: heat on low - 3 Tbs. butter, 4 tsp. milk and add 1/2 cup of brown sugar. When cooler, add 1 cup of confectionary sugar and 3/4 tsp. vanilla.

Ice cookies while they are warm.

(I add and mix together as soon as everything is melted. Also, sometimes frosting starts to dry by the time ready for last batch and then I just stir in a small amount of milk.)

ENJOY! :)

p.s. I usually "only" make these for Thanksgiving and so they have become a Thanksgiving tradition that everyone looks forward to, which is a good thing since I DON'T do pies! :)

It's time to start baking the Thanksgiving Pumpkin cookies. Since I don't do pies these wonderful cookies have been my special tradition. I ONLY make them for Thanksgiving and once gone that is it, which is what makes them so special...well that and they're good as in decadent good. :) Everyone wants them and they go really fast. I have been making them since 1977 the 1st fall we moved into our house. Once a person stopped my husband when he was out somewhere and said he heard all about these good cookies I made. Evidently my husband's uncle raved about them to this guy. That warmed my heart. :) I never shared the recipe and no one else made them. Then about 5 years ago I brought the cookies up to the hospital and gave the recipe out as the requests came in. Now it's not so secret anymore. :) I think I will break tradition again and make them up until Christmas...I'll see. I will be seeing urodoc in December and plan on continuing my tradition of bringing them these cookies and probably a Christmas basket of food. I have fun bringing the food in my Longaberger baskets because a. I like to use them b. they're convenient c. they make a nice presentation and d. the ladies like the baskets. So it's just fun to do that for them. :)

I will also bring some to Mom's nursing home staff.

I am a little stressed on top of the major stress I am feeling because of all the work in cleaning out and cleaning mom's apartment, the emotions involved, blah, bla, blah...but also I need to bake 3 batches of these cookies for Thanksgiving and a vegetable dish and shop...amidst all of these things and bring Mom from the nursing home (no easy feat there) to the dinner... then that night back to working on her apartment.

And I could've had most of this done but boy did I avoid. Partly because I hoped she could come back and partly because I didn't want to face these things. It didn't work. I've prolonged it all with procrastination. It would've been better to go in like a robot and just make a clean sweep and banish the past once and for all.

Anyway, I love this time of year! All the holidays, getting dark early, cold weather and being cozy. Next week...I can begin to really appreciate it.

Even though there have been some difficult things to deal with this year... I do know that we still have so many things to be thankful for. :)

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!! :)

2 comments:

Chrysalis Angel said...

Try and enjoy this time with family. I wanted to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving! You're one of the blessings I'm thankful for. :)

SeaSpray said...

Thank you Chrysalis Angel. i feel the same about you.

Happy Thanksgiving. :)