Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas Meme (includes Santa vs the NPCOGWPRS)



Last year's pecan pie didn't turn out so well. Only one of the reasons I don't do pies. :) I never burned a pecan pie before and so I blame this one on the new oven. Of course..I never burned anything else in there before but that night the oven controls MUST HAVE gone whacky. ;)

Thank you to Medblog Addict over at Addicted to Medblogs for tagging me with this Christmas meme. I do love memes! I like to read everyone's memes and you get to know them a little better... sometimes. :)

1. Hot Chocolate or Egg Nog?
At Christmas... Always the eggnog with a little something special in it and ground nutmeg on top. No one in my immediate family or husband's family likes it... but it is nostalgic for me because my family liked it when I was growing up.

Funny thing and I haven't died from it yet, but perhaps someone can tell me if this is a bad thing to do. We never drink hard liquor in this house. I gave a way hundreds of dollars worth to my uncle one summer (he looked like it was Christmas in July!) that my husband had accumulated as gifts from his job. I use this bottle of scotch whiskey that I maybe opened in the early 90's (I hope and not the 80's) and I put a shot of it in my eggnog. It tastes good and it does have a kick to it. But I only have a couple of shots during Christmas and that's it and is why it lasts so long. So... do I not know what I am missing by opening a fresh bottle? Is it harmful or is it just disgusting to someone with a taste for good liquor? You don't miss what you've never had. ;)

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Everyone KNOWS that the reindeer wrap the presents and Santa puts them under the tree.

Once upon a time...Santa used to wrap the presents until the last few years, due to the fact that the North Pole Commission of Operations for Gift Wrapping Procedures, Regulations and Safety (NPCOGWPRS) made it mandatory to work reduced hours. The NPCOGWPRS determined there would be less chance of a Christmas Sled Collision (CSC) if Santa was not sleep deprived.

Santa protested said ruling, stating that for centuries.. with the help of Rudolph's red nose... the stats demonstrate that he has not had one CSC... nary a one..CSC. Santa further stated that with the additional paperwork resulting from the NPCOGWPRS' requirement that all forms be completed and submitted to the NPCOGWPRS no later than 12 noon on December 23rd, that he now gets less sleep and is at more risk of a CSC occurence.

Unfortunately, the NPCOGWPRS took said Santa revelation under advisement and further determined that Santa must take a Yearly Mandatory Christmas Sled Flight Maneuvers and Landing Certification Course (YMCSFMLCC) to demonstrate that he is capable of performing his Christmas deliveries as safely as he has every year... for centuries.

Santa's filling out the NPCOGWPRS forms to protect against liability from a CSC, attending the YMCSFMLCC and yet somehow and miraculously working his allowable gift wrapping hours... has further compromised his ability to add his personal touch with each package, thus creating the need to be out sourced to the reindeer.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
White lights here, white lights there...white lights everywhere! White lights on the bushes in front of the house and around the main door, which shine through the glass to the inside.... and white lights on our little pine tree. Often with little red bows on them, but didn't get to it this year. Then I still turn the lights on during the winter on dreary or snowy days... even during February.

I also put the white lights on that are on the small artificial trees in the windows. I continue a snowman, pine tree winter theme after the holidays. I take the red bows off of everything outside and leave the wreaths up as greens for the winter. (I love colored lights too but went all white so I can leave them up. Plus they remind me of snow...when we don't have snow. I like snow. :) The tree is always white lights and white lights are scalloped on one of the family room beams and in the garland covering 2 kitchen doorways. Son puts colored lights on his tree. And there are white lights on smaller decorative things. It looks like a winter wonderland.. inside and out and as I said reminds me of snow..even when there isn't any. :)

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
When someone cute walks but..I grab it out of my purse and dangle it over my head! ;) Okay -KIDDING! Yes..sometimes.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
The day after Thanksgiving or as soon as possible. This year is the exception.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?
Traditional turkey, stuffing, gravy and all the things we cook to accompany said turkey, etc... but basically everything that has the effect on arteries like what Scalpel put up in this post... is my favorite. I wouldn't want to slurp gravy..well ? ..no I really wouldn't but if we could put it with cheese sauces and cheese cake that might work. KIDDING! Stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy and this decadent broccoli casserole. :)

7. Favorite Holiday memory?
That's a tough one because there are so many.

Christmas 1991 - We were going through an awful legal situation (wrongfully so and my husband won) but we were in a dire situation and not sure of the outcome at that time. Family, friends and co-workers rallied around us and did all kinds of charitable things. It was humbling to be on the needy side of things and it was moving, reassuring and heartwarming beyond words to experience the thoughtfulness and generosity of others...particularly during such a trying time.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

I was 5. I woke up around 4:30 in the morning and ran out to the tree. My mother was just walking back down the hall to bed. I looked at her, then the presents and then back at her and I exclaimed, "There's no Santa Clause!" She turned around and said there was and I said "No there's not! YOU put these presents here!" From that point on I knew and I remember I was proud that I figured it out... but then I started telling my friends and my mother started getting a few phone calls. :) I did have one friend... Caribbean Blue who believed when she was nine and she didn't want to believe me either.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
We let the boys each open one of the small gifts.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
Joyfully obsessive and with love!

Christmas music, popcorn and hot chocolate when others help. My husband or sons help with the Angel on top, the lights, decorations, beads and tinsel at the top. I have done all that but after knee injury...it strains going up and down on the ladder.

I am particular with how some ornaments go. I love to put glassy ornaments so that the white lights illuminate them from behind or to position an ornament so that the white light shines on it. Hundreds of ornaments! Several ornaments on one branch and cluster the glass ornaments where I can. And always put the most special ornaments in the prime locations to be viewed AND away from potential harm. We follow that up with gold beads scalloped around the tree, followed by 1 box of tinsel hanging just so on the branches. There is a thick red, green and cream velvet Christmas skirt on the bottom, around the base of the tree.

We are still decorating it!

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
Why else have winter? I LOVE snow! Hopefully we will have a white Christmas. :)

12. Can you ice skate?
Yes... but haven't for years. My favorite thing was to skate by myself on the pond out back in the moonlight. That might not have been the wisest thing to do but it was fun and soooo beautiful outside and on the ice. :)

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
When I was a little girl...my Aunt Janet and Uncle Hector always gave me the best presents. One year Chatty Cathy, another Thumbelina or a blue 2 wheeler bike, or a red Flyer sled. Those were my most memorable gifts as a child and some cardboard bricks my mother gave me. I thought they were so neat! . (That's why she went to bed so late that morning -she was folding and putting together all those bricks!) :) As an adult ...too many to pick one.

Again... it would be the kindness extended to us when we were going through a difficult time. (See#7)

14. What’s the most important thing?
That the real meaning of Christmas is about the birth of Christ...God's gift to the world because he loves us so much and that we get to celebrate with family and friends.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
Everything ...providing it does NOT contain coconut. I have to think about that. Pecan pie... yes... my pecan pie... when I don't burn it. But I really don't make pies and so I cheat with a store crust, although I do make a great filling. :) and the Pumpkin cookies I make (because I use extra cinnamon). My m-i-l's heaven pie and d-i-l's Christmas cookies.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
The person that plays Santa Clause distributing the gifts wears the Santa hat.

Watching "It's a Wonderful Life".

Talking about the tree decorations who gave them, the story behind the ornament...while decorating. It's a nice way to remember special people and events and to know that some people went out of their way to give me an ornament because they know how much I love decorating the tree and that I cherish ornaments. :)

My aunt and uncle had a tradition that I LOVED... but it has never been possible with my family because my husband's family does it differently and that is how we have done it.

We didn't have holiday dinner until around 4 and I like that because all the lights look so pretty and no one could open any gifts until after dinner. I LOVED the anticipation of waiting all day to open the gifts!! And then... we opened them one by one and we all got to see what everyone got.

The anticipation and excitement was exquisitely drawn out!!!!!! :)

17. What tops your tree?
Always an angel. Silver Dress with moving wings and arms holding a white light in her hands.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
Definitely giving... but it is always fun to rip a package open! :)

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
The Christmas Canon by the Siberian Orchestra! They are all so beautiful. Santa Baby is fun and Carol of the Bells, Silent night, Joy to the World... they're all good. :)

20. Candy canes, Yuck or Yum?
Mmmmm...love peppermint... but don't usually eat them.

So here is where I am supposed to tag someone... hmmm... I wonder-r-r... as I wander-r-r-r... in the blogasphere.... Medblog Addict, WhiteCoat (I know..), Throckmorton, The Happy Hospitalist, MottsA and Dr Rob :)

*It's a few days before Christmas and we're all busy but I just couldn't resist memming ..um tagging you... although please don't feel oblicated. :)

**This is also an open tag (for anyone) and so let me know if you do one so I can come over to read yours. :)

9 comments:

Mottsapplesauce said...

I actually like these memes, as long as they're different from the past ones I've done & they don't ask for any personal information. I'll come out & play later today. I posted a reply about DH on my site last night, he's improving thank the Lord...

Mottsapplesauce said...

P.S.--- your poor pie!!!

Dr. Deb said...

Wanted to send you Glad Tidings!

Mottsapplesauce said...

OK Spray.....you've got my meme! Time to pass it on now---

The Independent Urologist said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours. Agree with your recent comment on my blog 100%.
Have a happy new year.

SeaSpray said...

Thanks for playing MottsA! They are fun! I am super busy and going right back out the door,but hope to blog later and I will check out your post. :)

SeaSpray said...

Glad tidings to you too Dr Deb!! :)

Medblog Addict said...

Thanks for doing the Christmas meme; I'll update my list.

I'll do it, Sprout, but it might not be finished until next Christmas.

Have a wonderful Christmas!

SeaSpray said...

I had fun with it MbA and anytime is fine. Christmas meme in June works too. :)

Merry Christmas to you and yours! :)