Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Happy New Year and Blessings to All!


Isabella Tayler Cunningham and James Lawson MacDonald (my grandparents) on their wedding day.

I chose this Auld Lang Syne song by Charles C Stanley because it sounds just like the 78 rpm records that my grandparents played when I was little. Maybe it was even this artist because he was from that era.

My grandparents were both born in Scotland and met after they came here. I don't know what year they were married, but I do know it was Valentines day.

I always meant to ask mom these things.

I love this song... Auld Lang Syne... but it ALWAYS makes me feel very sentimental and sad and missing the people I have loved and don't see anymore or the people I care about... but our paths have changed and so never see them either.

Even though I really do adore the song...the feelings it evokes are so strong...causing me to miss the special people in my life, both past and present... so much...that it almost hurts.

I was actually all weepy and sentimental listening to all the different artists playing this song... until I listened to Jimmy Hendrix playing it. That perked me up and I began to listen to the rest of his music and didn't feel sentimental anymore. :)

But... for the next couple of days... I guess I will be sentimental. :)

Tomorrow night we will be having a quiet evening at home. We will have a late dinner and are renting a couple of movies. One all macho for my husband and a comedy for me. I am open to suggestions if anyone has any recommendations. :)

And I just want to add...that I have thoroughly enjoyed visiting your blogs and appreciate your visiting me here. I wish everyone a healthy, prosperous and blessedly Happy New Year! :)

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Here in Scotland, we don't wish "Happy New Year" until it is the new year. Also we don't sing "Auld Lang Syne" until the bells have soounded the new year.

I'll come by tomorrow.

SeaSpray said...

Hi Elaine - I don't think we sing auld Lang Syne until midnight either but definitely say happy new year before the day.

See you tomorrow. :)