Wednesday, January 28, 2009

How is THAT possible???

[Kidneystone.jpg]
An X-ray photograph showing a huge kidney stone inside the body of patient Sandor Sarkadi. Photo: EPA

I read about this humongous kidney stone over at Happy's blog and followed his links to read the rest of the story!

I thought a kidney stone the size of a golf ball was a joke and didn't know they really could get that big. When medical staff told me my 1st kidney stone was the size of a golf ball, I figured they were being facetious, but I also thought I had a big stone because the urologist said I had been working on it a long time. It was 6 mm.

This one was said to be the size of a coconut! YIKES!

What I don't understand is how did the kidney accommodate it? Wasn't it heavy? Didn't it hurt? And I wonder if it damaged his kidney or anything else?

That poor man. I hope he is alright.

The giant kidney stone which was removed from patient Sandor Sarkadi.
The giant kidney stone which was removed from patient Sandor Sarkadi.

O-U-C-H-!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I just came back from reading Happy's comment section and apparently it is technically a bladder stone.

So, I shall revise my questions:
How did the bladder accommodate it? Wasn't it heavy? Didn't it hurt? And I wonder if it damaged his bladder or anything else?

And one more: HOW could it happen in the first place???

Y-I-K-E-S!!!!!!!!!!


11 comments:

Elaine said...

I can't cope with pictures like these at this time in the morning (7.51 am here)- they really make you wince...

Chrysalis Angel said...

When I first saw it, I thought cool! Just the way things can happen in the body interests me. I do feel for the poor patient though. I have never seen anything like that.

The Happy Hospitalist said...

I think in retrospect, the stone formed in the bladder. It's likely a bladder stone. I don't think it's humanly possible for something that big to pass down the ureter

Chrysalis Angel said...

I wouldn't think, but I have never seen a bladder stone. I thought that was pretty interesting. Thanks to you both for posting it.

SeaSpray said...

Hi Elaine - I know, it is a bit unnerving but interesting. Mind boggling too! :)

SeaSpray said...

Hi Angel- It is intriguing. Even more so..how the man lived with it!

SeaSpray said...

Hi Happy -yeah, THAT would be one H@#* of an obstruction! I was wondering about the kidney and pictured all kinds of damage and pain. I didn't know you could get bladder stones too.

Thanks for your input Happy!

Chrysalis Angel said...

Just checking in on you, Spray. I hope things are going okay.

SeaSpray said...

No..I am not okay.

Anonymous said...

I've had bladder stones that started in the kidney, then passed to the bladder then grew larger but not that large! Ouch!

SeaSpray said...

UGH ...I don't know how you did it. I don't know if my kidney stone pain was horrendous because my ureter more narrow than usual or it was stuck. I know they hurt like heck anyway. But I never had them hit the bladder or PASS. Like you said ..OUCH!