Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Sleepless!

Ugh!

Why is it that whenever I have to do something important...I can't sleep worth a darn the night before. Today it's about the renal scan consult... but it even happens the night before a vacation I am excited about going on.

I anticipated this and so I took 1 Benadryl and drank a glass of tonic water. (My doctor said that he and his wife drink 8 oz of tonic water before they go to bed at night.) I do not make a habit of the Benadryl at all, but desperate times call for desperate measures. :) I went to bed at 1 to get up at 9. Eight hours is perfect for me.

I think I woke up almost every hour and finally gave up and just got up at 08:30. *sigh*

Why does that happen?

How can I counter it?

Oh...and I read for a half hour in bed too.

It could be part hormonal, but I have always experienced this. The night before going into SDS, to have a baby or the first day of a new job. Even as a little girl, I'd lie awake in my bed thinking about the fun school trip we were going on the next day. :)

Just when I need to sleep most... my body says no. I think I am subconsciously gearing up for the next day.

Do other people do this?

This morning I am pretty sure that my coffee is manna from heaven. Really...thank God for coffee! :)

5 comments:

Rositta said...

I have the same problem and I'm pretty certain lots of people do. Before my eye surgery I took a sleeping pill. Since I rarely take them it was immediately effective. I can't take Benadryl because it causes arrythmia. You might want to consider a gravol instead...ciao

SeaSpray said...

Hi Rositta- It's frustrating isn't it? Yes...I hear sleeping pills are prescribed often. I had a bad experience with Lunesta. It interrupted my logical thinking process and memory. (See my post on sidebar I Did a Ditzy Thing at the Urologist)

I remember in the warnings it says to go to bed right when you take it because you might do things while up and not know your doing them or something like that and I think I had some kind of altered experience...and I DROVE an hour both ways to and from that appointment!

So I am afraid to take anything that could mess with my mind.

It is a funny story and must've seemed so odd to the patients. Then the day after writing the post...I got scared thinking it was the onset of dementia but doc reassured me it wasn't. I asked him on 3 different occasions.

What is a gravol?

Totally scared me and doc said it could've caused it.

I just bought melatonin at Costco today. Taking it in a few minutes. :)

Rositta said...

I don't take any of the newer sleeping pills. I stick with the older clonazapam 5 mg. As I said I probably only need it about 6 times a year. Gravol is anti nausea pills that I use when I have migraine. They make me sleep and are relatively benign. Melatonin is hit and miss but I take it once in a while...ciao

SnowLite said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SeaSpray said...

Hi Rositta -I've taken melatonin twice so fat and slept really well. I think i'm gonna be lovin my melatonin nights for awhile..at least to I feel well rested. :)