Friday, May 15, 2009

ODD- FISHY Delivery

onefishtwofish.jpg
Okay, the book really doesn't have anything to do with the post other than that I was counting fish Saturday morning. I just LOVE Dr Seuss books! :)

1 fish, 2 fish, 3 fish, 4 fish
5 fish, 6 fish, 7 fish, 8 fish
9 fish, 10 fish, 11 fish... dead fish!

12 dead fish!

So what is this all about?

I don't know...exactly. ??

So...what happened?

Well... Saturday morning around 11:30ish... my younger son hollered for me to come right there. His friend hollered and said "Pat, you have to see this!" Then as I walked into the kitchen... both he and his friend were laughing and told me to look in the sink.

I did.

There was a yellow plastic Shoprite bag sitting in the sink.

"Open it and look in!"

The way they were acting, I knew I didn't want to.

"What's in it?"

"Just look...you have to look!"

So...I guardedly opened the bag.

Eww the smell! There were a bunch of bloody, dead fish in there.

I knew they had been in the house then and so I asked where the fish came from.

"Some man dropped them off."

"Some man? What man?"

Younger son, "I don't know. He knocked on the door and by the time I got there he was going to the other door. I asked if I could help him."

"O.K., so what happened?"

"He gave me this bag of fish." (Friend really laughing now :)

"Why???"

"I don't know."

"Well do we know him?"

"I don't think so... maybe dad does."

(Female brain now in full gear and wanting every bit of minutia son could offer because who drops off a bunch of dead fish without an explanation?) "Well what did he say?"

He asked if the owner of the house was here and I said, "You mean my dad?" Then he said, "Here, this is for the chief." Then he just left."

"What was he driving?"

"A silver truck."

"Did you ever see the truck before?"

"No."

"Well where did he go?"

"He got in his silver truck and then drove up the rode."

"What did he look like?"

"White hair, white beard and about my height." (Younger son is 6'2")

"What color were his eyes?"

"I don't know."

"Well... did he look familiar at all? Did the truck look familiar?"

"No."

"Do you remember anything else about him? Was he heavy? Thin?"

"Thin."

"Anything else?"

"He had crooked teeth."

"Anything else?"

"No."

"I'm calling Dad."

"Hi -Mr SeaSpray... does anyone ever call you CHIEF?"

"No, why?"

And so I explained and he didn't have any idea who the person could be either.

So..I asked son to put them in a garbage bag and put them outside.

I felt bad about throwing the fish out if they were meant to be a gift... but who would eat dead fish from a stranger? I don't eat any dead fish unless it comes out of a can.. well okay..maybe salmon or flounder. But I draw the line there.

It was just odd.

I wondered if he had the wrong house. ?

I wondered if he was a nut. ?

And who comes up to your house with a bag of dead fish and then asks if the owner of the house is home? Wouldn't you say... is your father home or is your mother home?

Not something as impersonal as "The owner of the house".

We also had a good laugh over. It was all just so unusual.

But it was bugging me and so I asked dear son to explain all over again... hoping for some clue for identification. Nothing new.

Then I began thinking of the symbolism of fish. Well if there is a real symbol..that I don't know.. other than it is a Christian symbol. I began thinking about Christ saying "I'll make you fishers of men."

And I began thinking of the miraculous loaves and fish in the basket feeding the five thousand.

And then I thought of President Obama's chief of staff sending a dead fish in the mail to someone he was angry at.

And then I wondered what it meant to get a bunch of dead fish.

Admittedly, my imagination went into overdrive because there is a situation in the area where nefarious activities *may* be going on and just the night before I was telling another person concerned about the situation...well maybe we should write an editorial and talk to some reporters... be armed with facts and dates but perhaps get an expose going. Then I started wondering if anyone could have heard us on neighbor's portable phone? (I was on land line) I had even been questioning possible Mafia involvement. I mentioned that we all should unite and show the negligent officials that we mean business... and see how they like it when we go over their heads and get some inquiries going because they were elected by us and they are supposed to serve and protect us!

So.. I googled about dead fish being delivered: "Leaving a dead fish on someone's doorstep is a warning that they are going to be killed. Usually, by a Mafia hit man." "Use of a fish is notorious as a mafia message indicating that its recipient will "sleep with the fishes" unless he or she heeds the warning." "Or, in Mafia Lore, it would mean that someone "sleeps with the fishes". "

Now... I know my imagination was in overdrive here, but I was feeling creepy about the previous night's conversation and have been about the situation... ever since I began hearing officials were afraid... and the whole situation is seriously troubling ..believe me.

Anyway, Mr SeaSpray looked in the bag when he came home and said they were trout... but over the limit of what you're allowed to catch.

Then I thought..why 12..maybe it is a warning for everyone who has been in opposition. But I have been out of the loop because of Mom, until the night before.

In all probability... the guy probably had the wrong house.

But who comes up and says, "Is the owner of the house here?" and then hands their kid a bag of dead fish?

Weird, mysterious and amusing.

Hey.. who needs TV when I have my active imagination? ;)

LOL! I was just telling a friend about the fish and she thought that was weird and that perhaps I should've called the police. Ha! Can't you just imagine the conversation after I call in to the police station stating I was concerned because a stranger gave us 12 dead fish? I guess it would be a good thing if someone called in to report they were missing some dead fish! Ha ha!

And really... it was so bizarre. :) ??