Monday, July 6, 2009

Mechanical Patients and Other Opinions :)


It warms my heart when I see a man fixing something. I guess because I feel like everything will be alright and it is a secure feeling. I can sometimes fix things...following the logic with the most basic things... but I certainly am not mechanically inclined... nor am I a carpenter, plumber or a gazillion other things.

I admit I felt discouraged and even got a little panicky when things broke and the funds were tight and we'd just have to make do... or sacrifice somewhere else so we could pay someone else to fix it. But then when it was fixed... it was and is such a good feeling. :)

My uncles were the kind of guys who could seemingly do anything. I once asked my Uncle Hector if Grandpa taught him how to do all these things he could do. He said no... that my grandfather was a mason and good at what he did, but he didn't know how to fix other things. He said he came up with the nicest white paint mixture for stucco that he had ever seen and people really liked it and maybe could've done something with it.. but he never did.

Uncle Hector also said, "Pat...when you don't have the money to fix things...you figure out how to do it yourself." I asked, "But what if you do it wrong?" He answered, "Oh..I've made mistakes. That is how you learn... you just keep at it until you get it right."

My husband's Uncle Henry can do even more than my uncle. Mechanical, carpentry, electrical,electronics, etc., and I asked him how he knew how to do all these things. He said, "All you have to know how to do is read. If you can read...you can do anything."

Somehow...I think that he is probably more gifted than most when it comes to working with his hands.

I worked with an ER doc who was also a surgeon that once told me "Anyone could be a doctor. All you need is a good memory." That is interesting... but I have a good memory... and I know I couldn't be a doctor. And he made that statement with such confidence...as if it was the most logical progression in achievement. He was an excellent doctor and the doc you'd want on if you came in as an ER patient. He was also good at suturing and when he sutured a facial lac... they healed beautifully.

Reading and good memory are key... but I also think some people have an innate ability to be proficient in particular areas... more so than others. And continuing education in whatever form required, hones those skills.

A couple of years ago I was having a discussion with a surgeon, who was telling me how he loved to work in the OR and when he's not working... he loves to work with tools in his home. He said he is always fixing or changing something...taking walls down, building... whatever he could find to do and that he is happiest when he works with his hands.

He also said...when he visits a friend who is a dentist... he likes to look at his friend's dental tools, opens his drawers to see what he's got, etc., and he was really funny when he was talking about it. He reminded me of a kid in a candy store! :)


Thank God for all the Mr and Ms. Fix its out there. :)

5 comments:

kod ekle said...

Greetings from Turkey.Have a nice day.

SeaSpray said...

Thanks -you too Kod. :)

Anonymous said...

Log on to Chataboutit.com, every Wednesday from 10pm-11pm EST and get a taste of “The Good Life” with award winning host Jesse Dylan as he presents the latest in health, fitness, vital living, and human potential research to over 15 million listeners weekly!
Tonight Jesse’s guests are former chairman of the American Heart Association Dr. Michael Ozner, executive director of the Dalai Lama center Victor Chan and the world’s most renound kids doctor, Dr. Bill Sears. Don’t miss it!

Ellen Kimball said...

Hello! Such a funny photo... good thing he had on some underwear. I can't tell you how many times I come into a room to find my husband down on the floor fixing something. He's a problem solver and it's such a great attribute. Yesterday, he was out repairing an umbrella from our porch table and chair set. I don't know what he actually did, but it looks great.

He will tackle anything and will probably fix it. A couple of weeks ago, he took the controls to the washing machine apart. It's eleven years old and I though we'd end up in Sears buying a new one. Nope! It's working fine.

The only thing he was unable to fix was an old typewriter a long time ago. He put it back together -- and left out some parts! We laugh about it now.

Warm regards,

Ellen Kimball in Oregon

SeaSpray said...

Oh Ellen..you are so lucky! It saves so much money when you know how to fix something yourself. he sounds like my uncles...always puttering around fixing something. It warms my heart to see things get fixed. My husband is not a Mr fix it type. He can do some things but definitely not mechanically inclined. However... he grows wonderful vegetables, maintains the garden in the summer and does other things. he's also spread thin because he helps maintain his mother's house as well as his aunt's house and mows a neighbor's large lawn. Then of course he works full time too.

So..you can imagine how much he actually does..because one house is enough to keep us busy. :)

Nice to see you Ellen. :)