Monday, October 19, 2009

Song of Autumn

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/autumn-leaves-1108-lg-55265504.jpg

I woke up feeling down this morning.

A lot of good things are going on and I have much to be grateful for ... I do know this ...and I am grateful and happy about a lot of things. Sometimes it's just a matter of perspectives ...you know.. just get your head in the right place.

And I miss Mom.

That was one of the things that caused me to feel sad before I went to sleep.

So ... this morning while sipping my coffee and looking out at the exquisite colors of the fall foliage, I noticed how beautiful the falling leaves looked as they fell softly to the ground and the carpet of leaves now covering the grass. It's a beautiful, sunny and crisp autumn day here in NJ. I just love this time of year. :)

As I watched the leaves falling, I was reminded of a French Poem that I love and can identify with. I've put it up before and now I shall again today.

I am excited about something I think will be both fun and interesting.

I am going to assist with the campaign for the republican candidate for governor, Chris Christie. I am looking forward to this new experience and meeting new people and most importantly... assisting in getting him elected as our much needed new governor.

After that I am doing a fun, girly thing ... treating myself to a pedicure and a pretty new color... something pink ...until Christmas "No Autographs Please" red. :)


Chanson d'automne

Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l'automne
Blessent mon coeur
D'une langueur
Monotone.

Tout suffocant
Et blême, quand
Sonne l'heure,
Je me souviens
Des jours anciens
Et je pleure

Et je m'en vais
Au vent mauvais
Qui m'emporte
Deçà, delà,
Pareil à la
Feuille morte.

7 comments:

Chrysalis Angel said...

Love the beautiful photo. I don't know the French language. I took a different path, so I can't tell what the poem is saying. I'm sure it's beautiful if you like it. Hope you feel better today.

SeaSpray said...

I do feel better today Angel. Thank you. :) You can type in the poem title and then English next to it and it will pop up. :)

SeaSpray said...

The long sobbing of the violins of autumn
They wound my heart of monotonous languor.

All suffocating and wan
When the hour strikes
I remember all the old days
and I cry.

And I go away with the bad winds
From here to there
Like a dead leaf.

My translation is as my European born French teacher gave it to me.

she wrote it down in French one day (French II class) asked me to read it, said I was a natural and wanted me to recite it at a local college. but I shyly declined.

She also wrote the translation. i still have that French notebook. She used to come up to me and give me things to say that she didn't give to the other students. I think she saw some potential there. She said speaking the language came naturally to me.

I took that as the ultimate compliment because she was born in Poland and spoke Polish, went to school in France during WWII and so spoke French and also spoke German, Italian, English, Latin and Spanish. her husband spoke those and Russian. She taught 4 languages in the school.

Anyway..I figured if someone who knew languages that well thought I was good...that was a good thing. :) I took French III which was a combined class with French IV but different teacher and didn't enjoy it as much..but still love the language to this day... although certainly not fluent.

I could read and pronounce anything... but might not no what I am saying. haha! :)

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Autumn is indeed a beautiful weather where autumn leaves fall and where nature is readying itself for a transition to winter. I always associate autumn with the poignant song- The Autumn Leaves. The song always touch a sensitive spot in my soul. Thanks for the poignant post. God bless you always.

Chrysalis Angel said...

That is beautiful. Sounds like a very special teacher.

Fireguy took French. Sometimes he tries to use it on me, if you know what I mean...I told him for all I know he's telling me I need to clean up after the dog, so it doesn't work on me. ha,ha.

SeaSpray said...

Thank you Mel -God bless you too. :)

SeaSpray said...

LOL! Yes..I know what you mean. but even if he was saying that..it would still sound beautiful! :)

She was a wonderful teacher. They fired her and is why I didn't have French III with her. She wasn't tenured. She was quirky but so unique. She lived the cultures of the languages she was teaching. Also did yoga and was an artist.

She sent me a Christmas card a couple of years later and the address was from a local art community up here.

being an insensitive ..preoccupied teenager.. I didn't return a card. :(

As an adult..years later.. I realized that for her to do that... I must have stood out to her and she wanted to maintain contact. She did tell me that I was a natural with French and not forced like the others.

I was thinking about her one night when I was in my 30s and tried to track her down. I found out she moved back to Poland. I even tried to call over there but it didn't work out.

It might've been a wonderful friendship and I let the opportunity go. :(

But I have fond memories of her and her class. She also took us to the metropolitan museum in New York. Just a cool teacher.