Sunday, October 11, 2009

My First Hospital Friend

I keep hallucinating - A Nurse!!!
A couple of weeks ago I got a call on my cell from an ER nurse I used to work with. She was up from Florida for a wedding. I'd been out all day and so her timing was perfect and we got together for a late dinner at a local restaurant.

She was one of the first friends I made at the hospital when I first started there. She invited me to hang out back with her and the ER staff and the rest is history. My personal life was challenging at that time and going out to work with them was something I looked forward to every day I worked. I felt like I should've paid the hospital for that job.

I had the pleasure of working with this nurse for quite a few years. She was an excellent nurse... the kind who really knows her stuff and she was great with the patients too. And she has a fabulous sense of humor! We would laugh really hard at work and we laughed hard at dinner a couple of weeks ago... and I cried...about Mom.. just a little and she was sweet. :)

She had to leave to pick up her son who was flying in to Newark and so we had to talk faster than usual..which is fast and so we had to talk faster than fast. ;) But we think with lightening speed and our mouths keep up and so we got a lot in. It was hilarious when we ordered dessert at the same time in the same way without knowing the other was going to say exactly the same thing.

I remember one night when we were walking out of the hospital after our shifts and she said to me, "You know..i don't know why I like you.. but I do." LOL! I knew exactly what she meant because I felt the same way. We were so different and that is what she said. We weren't anything alike. On the surface.. we are different politically, religiously and morally with some things. She had a big snake.. a Boa constrictor I think and named him Satan.

Okay.. first off... I would never own a snake... but if I did.. I'd name it Angel or George.. NOT Satan. We were and are so different. But.. we love our families, are true to our friends, compassionate and love to have fun and have known pain in our lives and so I think there is an undercurrent of understanding that isn't spoken but is just there. I don't know if she'd agree... but that's how I feel. I could tell her anything and I know she'd understand and never be judgmental. We are tolerant of our differences. And she looks great.. a size 6 now and has the most gorgeous dark brown eyes I have ever seen.. you could get lost in them.

She has a favorite ER story about me involving a naked electrocuted man ... but I don't want to be offensive and so not sure I should tell it. It's a very short story. Reveals my naivete is all. She busts out laughing every time she tells it. :)

It was really great getting together with her. We laughed like old times. I think it's neat when you don't see someone for a long time.. 5 years for us... and can pick up like you never parted.

I'm so glad we got together again. :)

4 comments:

Chrysalis Angel said...

A-hem, please don't name a serpent, Angel. I hate snakes! Long history there. ;)

Isn't it great when you just click with someone? I just love that instant connection, and neither party understands why.

Those are the people it's so easy to pick up right where you left off with.

I'm glad you had a good time.

SeaSpray said...

Haha! Thanks Angel. :) Yes..I agree.

SeaSpray said...

Angel-did I ever tell the story of the naked electrocuted man? i feel like I did but maybe I just thought about it but decided not to.

Chrysalis Angel said...

No, you didn't. I can only imagine.