Saturday, March 27, 2010

PO -D-i-a-t-ry

http://shop.flowersxpressonline.com/images/Half-Dozen-Birthday-Balloon.gif

It was my mother-in-law's 80th birthday and we were all going out to dinner Saturday night and then coming back here for birthday cake and ice cream ..and presents. I decorated and 6'2" younger son hung the birthday banners for me. I decided that helium balloons would be festive. And I wanted a set of clustered balloons... 3 in each set.

There is a new store in town ..The Dollar Tree. I figured they would have balloons at a good price. (They do - the pretty foil ones for a dollar each - good price) I figured it would be a new listing and so I called information.

The phone call with the automated information went as follows:

City and State?

"A Town In, NJ."

Listing?

"The Dollar Store."

PO - D-i-a-t-ry?

"No. The Dollar Tree."

PO - D-i-a-t-ry?

"NO! THE-DOL-LAR-TREE!"

PO - D-i-a-t-ry?

"NO! THE DOLLAR TREE!!! OPERATOR! OPERATOR!"

I admit I did get impatient with the automated recording.

I was nice to the operator.

He gave me the number.

I ordered the balloons.

I tied one set to the wooden railing in the family room. It was tied about 30 seconds when I saw one balloon float up to the top of the cathedral ceiling. That's because Sneakers the cat ...has a thing for ribbon and immediately chewed through the ribbon ..setting the balloon free. Or he was on a mission to liberate the balloons ..I don't know. :)

It was so much fun getting out with all of our closest family. The food was delicious and I had one of my favorites ..chicken Marsala ..mmmm. :)

I like to drink wine, a glass or two once in a great while ...but I love wine cooking and prefer it in food any day. My d-i-l once said to me "Since you like wine in food so much ..why don't you just drink a glass of wine?" It's good ..but I prefer it in the cooking. I would put wine in everything if I could. My morning oatmeal or in my lunchtime soup du jour. ;) Actually, I love red wine in spaghetti sauce, but Mr SeaSpray doesn't like wine cooking and so once in a while I'll make a separate pot for me.

But I digress.

It was a nice surprise for Mom when the piano player played Happy Birthday for her. She enjoyed it. She also liked her gifts. D, our 8 yr old granddaughter is still the official birthday cake tester and never fails to fulfill her commitment to do a taste test of the icing before she will give her approval for us to eat the cake. She always approves. :) The baby, W ..is 10 months now and pulling herself to standing position and crawling around. She is excited about everything and can't take in enough in the world around her. It is so much fun to see the world through a child's eyes. I think I appreciate that more each time there is a new child in the family. If only we could know exactly what their thought processes are. Pretty soon both girls will be having their birthdays ..2 days apart ...back to back birthday parties. YAY!!! :)

It was refreshing to get away from all the negative news, political unrest and angst I have been feeling over all these things. The real life moments and people right in front of us are what matters most of all and I am blessed with a wonderful and loving family.

I am very grateful for that.

4 comments:

Chrysalis Angel said...

Sounds like you had fun. 10 months old now? Wow, you'll be chasing that little one around soon- any day now. Once she's on her feet, look out!

Loved the balloons pic.

SeaSpray said...

Hi Angel - yes we did. She definitely wants to investigate everything. can you just imagine what everything looks like to babies as they take in new things and experiences. I wish we could all have that joyful expectancy and innocence. :)

Balloons are fun. :)

rlbates said...

Happy Birthday to your MIL!!!

SeaSpray said...

Awww ..thank you Ramona. She's a special lady that is for sure. :)