Thursday, March 18, 2010

Weighed Less Despite the Salt-a-thon

http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/media/rueben.jpg

I am currently participating in a 3 day Salt-a-thon that began yesterday and will end tomorrow night... with Reubin sandwiches.

Well ..that's how I see it anyway. :)

Gee ..just how much salt are we consuming?

I had corned beef last night and all the vegetables cooked with it. You just know the vegetables absorb all that salt. And .. I had potato chips. I don't usually eat potato chips ..but this particular brand sucks me in every time and I can't resist or stop at just 20. They are Lays 50% less salt. I love the way they are folded over or burned. I just can't resist the unusual potato chip with burned being my favorite.

I also recently announced that I want to lose 10lbs by April 2nd. Hmm ..could be a problem here.

I also decided I would not weigh myself until April 2nd ..but this morning, I just had to know the damage with the corned beef meal, chips and all the salt.

Oh and I should say that my ingesting that kind of salt results in added water weight the next morning ..so much so that I swear the girls go up a cup size and rings feel tighter.

So ..why subject myself to the scale's message of doom? Everyone knows weight can fluctuate with salt. But like a lemming going over the cliff ..I was summoned by some unknown force ..more powerful than I ...as a mere mortal could resist.

And much to my extreme delight .. I weighed less than last week ..which means that given the salty meal I had yesterday ..that I actually lost more weight than is showing and that is greatly encouraging. :)

Anyway ..the annual salt-a-thong only happens once a year with St Patrick's day and is the only time I cook corned beef ..although this year I do have one left over.

Reubins have sauerkraut which I love and I'm still having cabbage cravings. Cheese has salt. The sandwich has a lot of fat and salt. So ..this will be the last meal like this until after I weigh myself in 2 weeks. And yes ..I will put a pickle with it but no chips.

So ...let the salt-a-thon continue! We are looking forward to those Reubins tomorrow night. :)

I know I need to be stronger ..but I have again asked Mr SeaSpray to please stop buying that particular brand of chips. Besides ..if he brings them home ..it's not like he's gonna get any. Funny thing is if they were ridged chips or too salty or plain flat chips ..I could care less. but darn ..the unusually shaped and or burned chip gets me every time and the bag is FILLED with them! Quirky ..I know. :)

9 comments:

StorytellERdoc said...

Your picture rocks! That looks so darn good right now. Is it yours?

And remember, weight is but a number. Go check out Christine at blisschick.net to read her post about weight yesterday.

After that, I give you permission to grab another rheuben! LOL

Hope you are well.
Jim

SeaSpray said...

Hi Jim-LOL! No not mine. Only child/1st born kicks in and I'm too controlled to have it hanging out like that so that it's falling out sloppy all over. It looks like a heart attack on a plate though ..doesn't it? ;)

We are having them tonight! :)

I agree about the number thing. I wrote her a l-o-o-o-o-o-o-n-g comment because I guess it triggered a response in me. :)

It was an insightful post and I blogrolled her. Thanks for the lead. :)

John McElveen said...

I put Salt on my Salt for Flavor. Funny actually-- I never ADD salt. My wife is an awesome cook and I learned early on to check before I salted. I ruined many a good meal because she cooked it so well with sea salt.
Each year at the beach we dry off au natural and stand over a shower curtain and collect the Naturally dried.....OK That is pure Poopy. But we use sea salt!

Congrats on the weight loss! Sodium has been big recently, esp. in the Froxen food/TV dinner markey. There truly is much more than we really need in most everything.

Even Pet's aren't immune: I mean, you even have a Salty Dog!

Geesh what's next, Cat Calories?

Hiya Girl,

Loves ya,

John

Dr. Deb said...

Looks good. I can't do a salt a thon. Hypertension is no fun!

SeaSpray said...

Hi Jim - turns out our sandwiches melted just like the pic. I overstuffed them with sauerkraut 9that cabbage thing :) and a little too much cheese ..melted all over. Oh there was corned beef too. ;)

SeaSpray said...

Hey John - Good to c ya! I've never been a big salt user although use more than I used to in cooking. I used to let people season with salt.. but now do add to certain recipes. I am a major ground pepper user though.

Losing weight is challenging for sure ..but I am in the mode ..despite the reubin. That's the difference ..being able to incorporate regular things so it's doable cause no one will stick with stuff as appetizing as cardboard. Moderation is key.

Cat calories haha! Now if we ate like cats we'd all be just about perfect because they just nibble. they could be the model for diabetic 6 small meals a day diet.

SeaSpray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SeaSpray said...

Hi Dr Deb - good seeing you too. :) I hear you. That is a consideration for us and perhaps should take more seriously too.

SeaSpray said...

Hi Dr Deb - good seeing you too. :) I hear you. That is a consideration for us and perhaps .. okay .. should take more seriously too.