Saturday, June 26, 2010

1 a.m. Rendezvous

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3464/3812785715_eac4a591e3.jpg

Ha! Thursday night ..I was ready to hit the sack by 8:30pm ..something highly unusual for this veteran night owl. But I did wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed (early) and had a fun day. Also a productive day.

Later in the day, I got the idea to have De*van and her friend over to dinner (Dominos pizza per the girls choice), swimming, movie and sleep over. So I picked them up and met her friend's Mom. She commented that she hoped her daughter made it through the night with this sleepover.

Not the least bit daunted by the red flag ..I cheerily said she'd be fine and they'd be ready for sleep by the time the night was over. They swam until 10pm or so. Then we watched Tooth Fairy ..which was really funny. :) Actually, before the movie she did say she thought she might want to go home and so I said then I would take her then. But she said she would stay the night. After several queries about her plans ..I accepted that she would indeed stay the night.

Movie over ..she called her mom to say good night.

The girls settled in to sleep ..but then Devan got up and accidentally stepped on the cat's tail in the kitchen. If you step on this cat's tail ..he is so loud and shoots you this look of utter disdain as though you are the Antichrist. He's actually scary looking. And sure enough... the cat squawked so loud he scared us even tho we saw it happen. And I guess that was enough for her friend to want to go home.

I tried to comfort her with different things and the fact that her friend was right there with her. I tried to persuade her with swimming in the morning. I even hugged her and said a real quick silent prayer that she'd stay.

NOPE! Tears streaming down her face. Aww ..I did feel sorry for her ..I was just so tired.

Okay then. Now it was 12:30 am and I was making plans to meet her mom near where she lived because she didn't remember exactly where that was and I did not want to be cruising around alone at night in an area I am unfamiliar with.

I had already taken my makeup off and washed up for the night and was just in my bathing suit and really was too tired to change. And so I just put this little hot pink strapless cover up on over my pink an black bathing suit and slipped a pair of non matching flip flops on. I woke Mr SeaSpray up so he'd know I was out driving her home. I'm not sure what he absorbed.

I was so sleepy and not in the mood to do this ..but was being cheerful to the apologetic mom. I told them our older son did that once and I had to go get him. She'll outgrow it.

So ..I grabbed my pocketbook, her big overnight bag, my keys and my mug of hot green tea to keep me awake ..even though I think it was decaffeinated.

She's sniffling in the back seat and I was talking about how nice it was to have her over, and about the beautiful full moon.

I felt creepy taking her home and I wasn't sure why.

Our rendezvous took place at about 1am.

Then after I dropped her off ..and was leaving ..I realized why I was feeling uneasy.

It was a summer night, my windows were open and I had turned the music up after we parted. I realized that I was driving right where I totaled a car one night, so many summers ago. I KNOW angels protected us. I do KNOW that. There is no other explanation for how we not only survived an air born car that nosedived and rolled in the valley below while we were all not belted ...but that we all pretty much walked away with out lasting injuries. I still can't remember which side of the stables I went up on. Just that I was driving very fast, brakes locked, I skidded to the right, back to the the left ..just missed the car that startled me with it's lights and up over the embankment and we were air born. It all happened so quickly ..in seconds. And it all happened right across from the entrance to where they live. Now if "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" came on ..I'd of been a bit freaked out.

I'm not superstitious at all. But every now and then I feel like tempting fate somehow invokes Murphy's Law. "Anything that can possibly go wrong does." I got to thinking about what I was wearing .. a bathing suit and no makeup ..and God forbid I had an accident and was brought to the ED I worked in. They wouldn't care ..but I would.

Needless to say ..I drove home real carefully.

On the upside of this little midnight ride ..at least I got to enjoy seeing the full moon for most of the ride back home. And I felt really good walking back in the door. I don't know why for sure ..but even aside from the subconscious connection to that past accident ..I felt creepy being out tonight. Even when walking up to my own door. I don't usually feel that way. I wonder why I did?

Well ..finally ..I'm yawning and I think I can sleep.

6 comments:

Chrysalis Angel said...

Things change in the cool night air....I'm glad you all made it to your homes safely.

Poor kid. Man, and at 1 a.m.:(

Chrysalis Angel said...

I meant to add, that I love the photo. Beautiful.

SeaSpray said...

Thanks Angel. I love that pic too. :)

StorytellERdoc said...

Great post, SS. And great photo. One time, a year or so back, my son was sleeping over at a friend's house and (as expected, since he's not a sleep-over kind of kid) around midnight, we got the call from him to pick him up. It was clear, and I took my wife's Beetle convertible. The 15 minute drive both ways, especially coming back with him, was magical.

Thanks for pulling that memory up out of me. And great writing.

SeaSpray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SeaSpray said...

Thanks Jim. My older son did that once too and I picked him up around midnight too. I like what you said about the ride back being magical. What a great way to look at it. :) They're so young and still so much to learn outside the comfort zones of family. I assured Mom that she'd outgrow it and look how much she wants to be close to her.

Someone asked me why I brought her home instead of Mom picking her up.

It didn't even occur to me ..and I just said I'd bring her home. I chalked it up to they were moving the very next day.