Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Faith,vs Reason, EMR's in a Newly Discovered Med Blog

I'm providing a link to another fabulous medical blog I discovered, "MD Whistleblower", authored by gastroenteroligist and writer, Michael Kirsch MD. I wish my time wasn't limited today because I wanted to keep reading more posts and comments. I find that not only do I learn by reading medblog posts, but also from the comments. I highly recommend this blog and give it a
5 http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_C2ioePV9tsA/Ry4hXQ2S5kI/AAAAAAAAAHo/VtXR5eGcDzQ/s200/starfish.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_C2ioePV9tsA/Ry4hXQ2S5kI/AAAAAAAAAHo/VtXR5eGcDzQ/s200/starfish.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_C2ioePV9tsA/Ry4hXQ2S5kI/AAAAAAAAAHo/VtXR5eGcDzQ/s200/starfish.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_C2ioePV9tsA/Ry4hXQ2S5kI/AAAAAAAAAHo/VtXR5eGcDzQ/s200/starfish.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_C2ioePV9tsA/Ry4hXQ2S5kI/AAAAAAAAAHo/VtXR5eGcDzQ/s200/starfish.jpg (starfish) SeaSpray rating. :) Check it out when you have a chance.!

I was immediately drawn to a recent post called "The Healing Power of Prayer: Faith vs Reason?" because ..well you (my readers who follow me) know how much I have resisted getting the ureteral reconstruction surgery and while certainly remaining under my urologist's care ...have simultaneously been hoping for a healing miracle. You also know that it now appears my options have been exhausted and now it's not a matter of if I have the surgery, but rather when I have the surgery.

Still ...hope springs eternal...

And if I don't get that 11th hr and 59 second rescue then all this energy I have spent on avoiding the surgery, will go into believing for a successful surgery ..without complications and a quick recovery process ..with a excellent and permanent healing.

Either way ..my head needs to be in the right place ...a positive place and focusing on my faith and the promises of God in the scriptures. My heart knows what to do and believes all things are possible and my head (my knowledge of the situation) fights my faith..opening the door for discouragement when I allow it. Fear and discouragement also have a way of blindsiding me when I'm not expecting it ..usually when all is quiet in early morning or late night.

I loved this "The Healing Power of Prayer: Faith vs Reason?" post! It really spoke to me because this is EXACTLY where my heart has been. I UNDERSTAND why the patient went this route ...I 100% understand. And now I will share a few excerpts with you:

"A patient I saw some months ago in the hospital illustrated another conflict that we physicians face, from time to time. Although the case was a typical case of internal bleeding, it could be classified as a Case of Faith vs Reason. Here’s a brief synopsis of the case."

"Most physicians at this point would advise the patient to consider surgery, to remove the section of the large intestine that is continuing to bleed. I requested that surgeon evaluate the patient and anticipated that he would perform surgery on that very day. My assumption was incorrect. The surgeon, a careful and compassionate physician, agreed that surgery was indicated, but no operation would take place. The patient preferred a different therapeutic plan, which I will paraphrase here.
“I think I’m just going to pray. If I’m still bleeding after the weekend, then we can talk again.”

"I would have opted for the surgery for myself, and would have enthusiastically supported his decision to undergo it. But, I wasn’t the referee in this contest, he was. He listened carefully to the medical professionals, and then viewed this information through the prism of his own life experiences and beliefs. I’m sure there was a contest occurring in his own mind, but he was able resolve it calmly and confidently. He didn’t say that he wouldn’t have surgery, only that he wanted to try something else first."

And here is a partial comment to the post from the The Medical Contrarian:"I lesson from the good Dr. Kirsch is a valuable one. Yes the patient should have the final word. What decisions may on the surface appear to be irrational may in fact be no more irrational than our recommendations. Trusting in a higher power, whether real or not, has its merits and may contain as much or more truth than what we base our experts opinions upon.

One final caveat. There are times where our medical recommendations are really based upon hard data. We need to know when these are and when the stakes warrant making a strong stand."

You can find out the rest of the story- about the patient, his medical case and the outcome of his decision to pray first vs immediate surgery. What an awesome story!

Then you can also follow up on the rest of the partial comment to this post I added in here and read the rest of the fine comments. :)

And then on a lighter note, I just have to share this post: "Electronic Medical Records, Surgery or a Grand Canyon Hike - Which Hurts More?", also written by Dr Whistleblower; which caused me to bust out laughing as he describes the transition form paper to electronic medical records in his office. It's a serious post laced with some exquisite humor. ..and a MUST read. :)

Here is an excerpt:

"Since, I don’t want to communicate to my patients my frustration, annoyance and trepidation, I try to make the experience seem like it's all jolly-good fun. I maintain a fixed smile of delight that must make patients think I administer an hourly Botox injection. Looking deliriously happy when I want to smash my laptop to shards is hard for someone with no acting skill or talent. Therefore, I \prepared some cue cards to assist me. Here’s a sample.

  • Do Not Say: I hate this system and so will you.
  • Say: Isn’t this wonderful? I can now search my whole practice for all of my porphyria patients.
  • Do Not Say: Remember how you used to wait a half hour in the waiting room for your appointment? Those were the ‘good old days’.
  • Say: My partners can view your medical history even at 3:00 a.m. Try it out this weekend when I am not on-call.
  • Do Not Say: I wonder who can hack into these records?
  • Say: Of course, this will really improve your medical care. I already clicked that you are feeling better.
  • Do Not Say: I can check my email during office visits and patients think I’m looking at their EMR charts!"
Another excellent post! Informative ... humorous and another must read. :)







No comments: