Sunday, September 26, 2010

HELP PLEASE!

I just went into my junk mail and saw the following notice and I am wondering if it is some kind of scam or legit. They provided a link to click on to deny or authorize, but I am afraid to do that in case clicking ob it actually authorizes this charge, sets me up for a virus, etc.

Does anyone know anything about paypal and if they contact you this way. Wouldn't they use my name to address me?

Furthermore, I thought they canceled me for inactivity ...which was wrong because I do have a 3.00 charge going through them monthly, but never bothered with it because no problems on my end.

I am not sure how accessible paypal staff is and will look for that.

Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

SeaSpray

PayPal letter follows:


Dear PayPal Member,
We recorded a payment request from "Skype -www.skype.com- Online Number"
to enable the charge of $60.00 on your account.
Because the order was made from an Indian internet address, we put an Exception Payment on
Transaction ID: #4KVB4181P7481062P motivated by our Geographical Tracking System.
THE PAYMENT IS PENDING FOR THE MOMENT.
If you made this transaction or if you just authorize this payment, please ignore or remove this email
message. The transaction will be shown on your monthly statement as "Skype - Online Number".
If you didn't make this payment and would like to decline the $60.00 billing to your card, please follow
the link below to cancel the payment :

I am omitting the link in here

NOTE: Because email is not a secure form of communication, please do not reply to this email.

5 comments:

rlbates said...

SeaSpray, don't click on the link. Go to your paypal account and see if anything is pending. Don't do it from the email.

le0pard13 said...

It's another fraudulent phishing scam. I get these all of the time, lately. As rlbates recommends, always verify your account directly with the site. NEVER click a link in email... just good security policy. HTH

Chrysalis Angel said...

Seaspray, send that email you received to: spoof@paypal.com.

StorytellERdoc said...

What is skype? LOL WE ordered my son sneakers from England and as soon as we finished, our credit card company called with fraudulent concerns. Cancelled it all and got new cards. And ordered him new sneakers from the US.

Guess who got two pairs of sneakers now? That's right, the other fraudulent ones arrived from the UK the other day!

You never know and it pays to be cautious, I guess.

SeaSpray said...

Thank you everyone for guiding me with this. I didn't click and did report to PayPal,but I didn't get a response from PayPal.

Ugh!. It scared me because I thought someone hacked into my personal info ..alarming feeling.

I hate junk mail and would block it all, but then sometimes people that you want to connect with are in there until you let them in your in box.

I'm sorry that happened to you Jim ..but your son must like having his 2 pairs of sneakers. :) I have a friend who lost money in her checking account because she bought something on line with her debit card. Never use a debit card on line because then the money is lost. At least a credit card has protection.

I think Skype is live video feed via satellite. I've seen Oprah use it.

Thanks again all! ;)