Monday, September 13, 2010

Urine Or Your Out!

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/sra/lowres/sran236l.jpg

I would not want to do anything to make it difficult for people to receive benefits they are in need of in order to feed, clothe, heat and provide for themselves or their families. We are supposed to help the less fortunate in life. Hopefully ..the assistance programs would provide a step up in aiding people to better themselves so that they no longer need the programs. But there are certainly cases in which people do need the long term help and thank God for these programs. However ... we also know there are those that totally scam the system... and are not deserving of the assistance.

Unfortunately ... the negative ripple effect of a drug abusing person failing a urine test would then possibly prevent the innocent people (children or other dependents) from getting the assistance they need.

Everyone knows the system gets scammed and seems to perpetuate generationally in some families. It is a complicated problem. How DO you weed out those truly in need verses those that just want the free ride?

I received the following in an e-mail this morning. (The author (unknown) obviously frustrated ..has a point.) :

"To pee or not to pee, that is the question.

I have a job. I work; they pay me. I pay my taxes, and the government distributes my taxes as it sees fit.

In order to get that paycheck, in my case, I am required to pass a random urine test (with which I have no problem). What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to people who don’t have to pass a urine test.

So, here is my question:

Shouldn’t one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them?

Please understand, I have no problem with helping people get back on their feet. I do, on the other hand, have a problem with helping someone sitting on his or her butt — doing drugs while I work.

Can you imagine how much money each state would save if people had to pass a urine test to get a public assistance check? I guess we could call the program “Urine or You’re Out”!

Something has to change in this country — and soon.

P.S. Just a thought: All politicians should have to pass a urine test, too!"