Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Renal Scan #9 and Other Medical Thoughts and Result



I LOVE the song, Mambo #5!

(See my good news at the bottom of this post :)

And for some odd reason ...I always think of it when I am about to get a renal scan. Renal scan #9 has an especially good ring to it. Of course ...so does #5! :)

These scans are important and yet for some reason, I feel a little levity connected to them. I don't feel levity in my spirit when actually having the scan. Well ...unless the tech gets me to laugh about something ..or ..I think of Mambo #5.

Before I go on ...I just want to say that I really do believe I am healed once and for all of this. I know those of you familiar with my history are probably skeptical. I understand. I've prayed before. Others have prayed for me. And then ...I relapsed. I know.

I also know that surgery has been the ongoing recommendation. You have no idea ...how HAPPY and GRATEFUL I am to have been given this one last chance to heal. I have my reasons ...but I really do believe my ureter IS healed and will no longer scar closed. I thank my urodoc for working on me and WITH me ...supporting me through this while working to facilitate healing in me. I thank God for healing me.

I had a follow-up renal scan this week and so awaiting the results, which I believe will be good. My urologist was pleased that my creatinine level was almost as good as when I had a ureteral stent in me this past winter, which would be indicative of urine flowing without obstruction ...just as it should be. I did experience discomfort, which passes a few minutes after the Lasix is administered. It's not a good feeling and that could be concerning ...except that that just might be the norm for me because my right ureter is naturally more narrow than most people's ureters. I remember a morning back in the 90s ...before I ever had a kidney stone damage to my right ureter, that I had experienced almost immediate and intense pain after I took a new water pill. It was like my kidney was being squeezed and wrung out with this heavy crushing feeling and then I really had to void. And I was alright. I think that was because my narrow ureter couldn't handle the large volume of urine created by that diuretic pill. (But ...no one knew about my narrow ureter back then. Heck! i didn't even KNOW i had a ureter ...never mind TWO of them! My left kidney was fine. I am guessing it must be a normal width. Needless to say ...I never took that med again!

Okay ...medical people are about to laugh and roll their eyes now ...but since 1975 (when married), I have always slept on my right side. I wonder if there is any chance I crushed it down somehow? Yes ...I've pondered that. :)

Anyway ...that incident reminds me that any discomfort I feel because of the Lasix during the scan may not be indicative of any ureteral stricture forming. I don't know why, but it always seems the techs leave the room at that point and because I don't feel right ...I wish they didn't. But, I never think to say it until after they are gone and I am experiencing the pressure. This is because with the first one, I felt I would become ill and needed a basin. Now ...I don't feel nausea, but it is an uncomfortable ...heavy pressure that is not only in kidney but seems to travel to low back and front. It is just not a good feeling all around. But ...I've never had the really bad experience since the first time I had the scan.

Anyway, other than that moment during the scan ...the rest of it is uneventful. I am always trying to figure out the little kidney galaxies I am watching on the screen. Interesting to see.

I had an odd thing happen while lying on the table during the scan. I got the weirdest taste in my mouth ...almost Windex like or something strong like that coming up in my breath from the back of my throat. He said it's the saline. I never had saline do that before. If I told you what I thought it was ..you'd crack up. Because it's not connected other than being in the same body.

When the test was finished, he placed the foley bag on my bladder. 1800 cc worth of glowing whizzie winkles in that bag. less then my higher outputs. That is either because I've lost weight and/or drank half the amount I usually did in the past.

Anyway ...with the foley bag in place over my bladder ...just before he took the picture ...I asked him if I should smile for the picture. "Wait! Should I smile?!" ;)

Oh ...the tech got the IV in first with the first stick, except ...it was the WORST one I ever had in my life ...because he must've hit a nerve. PAIN shot right down my arm and into my hand which felt numb and then turned to feeling prickly for awhile. And my arm got little pricks in it on and off today, but seems to have settled down. He later took a picture of my arm and I could see traces of the nuclear substance up and down my arm. (Now it is Friday afternoon and I am still getting little prickly sensations intermittently in hand or forearm.)

So ...you see ...the timing of this test was just perfect ...because now I can glow with the fireworks at night on July 4th! Confuses the lightening bugs tho. ;)

http://www.astropoetica.com/Summer09/images/ngc6397.jpg
This firefly pic (above) looks something like a renal scan.

http://kimandjason.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/firefly_jar.jpg

Update, Wednesday: I have GREAT news! An M/A from my urologist office called to tell me that urodoc wanted me to know that "Her kidneys are GREAT!"

I don't know specifics yet, but I sure LOVE the GREAT in reference to my kidneys!!! :)

Thank you Heavenly Father!

Thank you urodoc!

Thank you! :)

*I could've had this news last week if I turned my cell phone back on after last Wednesday night. I really have to be better about keeping it on and charged. I know that most people live by these phones.



6 comments:

Chrysalis Angel said...

Good luck with the results, Seaspray.

It does hurt like a son of a gun when they hit the nerve.

That squeezing sensation in the kidneys is something I experienced when I took that as drug, as well. You described it perfectly. It feels like your kidneys are being wrung out. Glad I don't have to take that now.

Have a happy 4th, my friend! I hope this scan is what you hope for.

SeaSpray said...

Thank you Angel. You have been a support ever since we first met in 2006. Thank you for that and your friendship. :)

I think the drug was demadex? maybe? Prescribed by my pcp and way too strong. I called and he said "then I'll take you right off that!"

Oh ...so you don't even have to have a narrow ureter? It is just too much fluid having to get out at once?

Ha ha! I think maybe that pill worked like those vacuums that suck all the air out of a pillow, etc except this sucked water.

I do believe it will be. I will be shocked if it is not. I am curious about my numbers, but I believe it will be good. I am healed. :)

Happy July 4th to you and Fireguy. :)

Chrysalis Angel said...

Yes, air out of a pillow or squeezing out a sponge.

I laughed when I saw I switched my words around when I wrote to you. It happens...sigh.

Wow 2006? Are you sure? I thought I didn't come around until 2007. You are probably right. Time just keeps on moving along. You've been a good friend to me as well, Seaspray. You're a sweetheart. Happy 4th soon!

SeaSpray said...

Hi - Yes I am sure ...your first comment in my blog was December 26, 2006. :) The post went up on 26th and I think was about stents and hobs ..forget exactly. I was stented then. It was all pretty new to me then and this blog came about because I was googling urology issues and landed in urostream and rest history. :)

Disturbingly, I discussed my job plans and have yet to be doing it!

Can you believe it has been 4 years and 6 mos since we first communicated? I began blog on Nov 13, 2006.

I DO hope the PRICKLY feeling will go away in my hand! Weird and uncomfortable. makes me want to rub the back of my hand.

Happy 4th! :)

Chrysalis Angel said...

Wow! I hadn't realized you were so new back then or that it had been that long ago.

That feeling will go away. Mine lasted for quite a bit, but it went away.

SeaSpray said...

Thanks! Time flies when you;re having fun! :)