Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Not So Quick Quick Checkout Line

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-l4cBsLar78Y/TggGFrHBH9I/AAAAAAAACLE/StuIgXlwMEU/cheer_asile_thumb2.jpg

This is funny.

Last night I was in the 10 item checkout line, anticipating a speedy checkout because the woman in front of me was all checked out and it was the fast checkout line ...except then she looked at her receipt and got upset because she was charged more than $3.49 for Tide detergent. A medium size bottle of Tide detergent ...and I know (because it's what I always buy) that size wouldn't be $3.49 ...even on sale.

I looked over at the regular line next to me ...trying to calculate whether or not I should pick everything up and relocate over there because that looked like it would clear sooner, but I stayed put.

Mistake.

Best laid plans ...*sigh* ...this was going to be awhile because she was being argumentative, stating they should honor their sign ...which read "All detergent $3.49" and then informing them she would never shop there again and about her torn meniscus surgery and that she should not have to walk back there again because she is still recuperating.

The manager came over to tell her she would go check for her.

In the mean time, I decided to encourage her stating I wished I had had my meniscal repair done sooner because once I did, I felt so much better when I left the hospital then when I had walked in. I said she will be so happy with how she will feel. She calmed down a bit, as we discussed it.

The manager came back with the sign, a bottle of laundry detergent and a big smile on her face.

It turns out (Surprise! Surprise!), that all Laundry detergents were not on sale for $3.49, but that "All" Laundry detergent was on sale for $3.49. Ha ha! :)

Three out of four of us got a good laugh out of that. She was not so amused. But ...that was funny. She just read the sign wrong. I sure would've laughed had I done that. :)

At least she stopped yelling at the cashier before she left.

Then as the cashier (probably still in high school) finished checking my stuff out she said "Thank you for diffusing that."

I smiled and told her she did an excellent job handling it on her own. I was impressed. So young and yet she handled it with more grace and professionalism than what I've seen some adults do when in that position.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is hilarious!
-peggy

SeaSpray said...

I know! :)

Welcome back! You all should come swimming if not swimming elsewhere or out doing something else. Pool water beginning to get too warm though and have to chill a bit with hose.