Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Broccoli Casserole ...Cardiac Casserole ...whatever ...It's YUMMY! :)

http://images.replacements.com/images/images5/china/L/longaberger_woven_traditions_heritage_green_4_quart_round_covered_casserole_P0000051791S0077T2.jpg
I bake it in my 4 quart Longaberger casserole dish.

One of our fellow bloggers requested the Broccoli Casserole recipe after she read about it in my Thanksgiving post. So, I've decided to post in here in case anyone else would like to make it. I've been making it for years ...on holidays. OMGOSH! If I made it for regular meals ...it would be way too tempting to eat way too much because it is that good. I always get compliments on it and people go for seconds. (Not so much with my mashed turnips and carrots. Although we love them and good for you too if you omit the butter. :) But, this ...the broccoli Casserole ...they like.

A friend had brought it over during a get together and I just loved it and so she graciously provided the recipe ...again ...and again ...and again ...until I finally put it in my word program and now it is also in my special recipe file. Thank you Kathy. :)

Anyway ...here is the recipe - enjoy. :)

Oh and if necessary ...it would probably be a good idea to have a dish of Lipitor served on the side. ;)
*********************************************
***The size of frozen vegetable bags have gone down from 20 oz to 16oz. So, I buy enough to keep the vegetables at 60 oz as in the recipe. Also, I sometimes like to use extra sharp cheese and always regular mushroom soup and not the light.

And the topping is a must - the flavor/texture completes the recipe.

Broccoli Casserole

3 - 20 oz. frozen broccoli (or 2 - 20 oz. frozen broccoli + 1 - 20 oz. frozen cauliflower)

1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
3 tablespoons chopped onion
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

cook broccoli and onions with salt in boiling water until just tender. Drain well.
add cheese to broccoli, toss lightly.

mix together:
2 beaten eggs
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup mayonaise


add to broccoli and cheese, mix gently

combine 1/2 cup Italian style bread crumbs with enough butter (approx. 3 tablespoons) in a small frying
pan. Warm until butter is melted and crumbs are moist and crumbly. Put broccoli mixture in a
buttered casserole dish and top with bread crumbs.

bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, uncovered.


8 comments:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog

SeaSpray said...

Thank you Steve - I will come by for a visit as soon as I can. :)

Solitary Diner said...

That sounds so tasty.

SeaSpray said...

Hi Solitary Diner - it is! :)

Now I am looking for a good dessert recipe ...something I've never done. Someone gave me a recipe for the MOST AMAZING Christmas spice cake I ever had and can't find it ..never made it but oh how I want to.

lindylu44 said...

Thank you so much for posting the recipe, I made it yesterday and it was o so yummy, It's going on the menu for Christmas dinner. My husband loved it!

I made a butterscotch bourbon and pecan bread pudding for dessert for the first time this year and it got rave reviews, I love to bake so if you're stuck for dessert let me know.

SeaSpray said...

Oh I am so glad you both enjoyed it. I could go for some RIGHT now ..would really hit the spot. If only you could cyber some over. :) I think for Christmas ..I am going to prepare it on Christmas eve and then bake when ready to cook Christmas day.

You are very welcome Lindylu44.

I'd like to try that recipe - the bourbon butterscotch recipe. And do you have any other special cake/cookie/bread recipes? or other? Not knead bread dough kind but holiday breads?

years a go a coworker gave me the recipe for the best Christmas spice cake and I cannot find it anywhere. Never made it but oh was it good.

lindylu44 said...

This is the recipe I used for the Bourban Butterscotch Pecan Bread pudding. I would suggest not serving it with your oh so fab broccoli dish, unless you already have an appointment for a quad bypass.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pecan-Bourbon-and-Butterscotch-Bread-Pudding-368300

SeaSpray said...

Thanks Lindylu44 - I will check it out. And let you know after I make it. I am sure will love it. :)