Friday, August 17, 2012

Feeling Sentimental...


Jonathan as an infant

47 minutes ago, our first born son became officially 32.

I wrote about him before, but I had gone through infertility testing (when I was 24), and was becoming concerned about being able to conceive a baby. And then along came Jonathan. :) His name means "Gift of the Lord" and he sure was. I believe all babies are, but we felt we had a miracle for many reasons. And then I almost miscarried him. My OBGYN said that after hemorrhaging so badly, I had a 50-50 chance that I was still pregnant. That was early December, 1979. I had to stay in bed for 3 weeks. That Christmas everyone came here and we only had cold cuts and simple food. The only gifts I bought were cook books that a friend a former neighbor was selling - one for every one. No one cared about our simple Christmas fare or gifts. Everyone was eagerly anticipating the birth of our first baby and praying this baby would be alright.

Then the following month - January, at my next exam ...my doctor said my uterus should be bigger and thought I had lost our baby. While it was a terrifying thought ...thankfully, I had an amazing friend and mentor in my friend Pat. She was a woman with tremendous faith in God, the power of prayer and His miracles. From the very beginning, she encouraged me not to lose faith and to believe I would not miscarry. Actually, I will backtrack a bit more.

The night the blood started gushing out of me, down my legs and onto the floor , when the bleeding first began ...I was so scared and shaken ...that I felt like my whole body had sunk right through the floor. I really felt like my body was moving down through the floor ...to about my hips. But, I got myself into bed, hardly moving, praying and waiting for Mr SeaSpray to get home.

The doctor told me to stay in bed and wanted to see me the next night ...Monday night.

Pat had called me that day, but I didn't answer any phone calls because we only had our phone in the kitchen at the time. The next day she ran into my husband and he told her what was going on.

Later in the day, there was a knock on our front door. The paper boy I figured. "I will pay him the next time." But, the knocking wouldn't let up. Finally... I couldn't take it and went to the door. It was Pat.

She immediately got me back into bed. She reminded me how I had gotten an answer to prayer. I was just prayed over to get pregnant about a month or so earlier and 5 and 3 days later I conceived. Okay ...only one conception there. :) I was prayed over to conceive on November 8th, 1979 at a Women's Aglow meeting in Newton, NJ. The man praying over me even prophesied over me and told me I would become pregnant soon and the baby would be a boy and that we would have another boy too. Then ... on November 10, 1979 I was prayed over at a healing service, in Chester, NJ and then I conceived on November 13th, 1979.

You don't forget when you've had a miracle answer to prayer. :)

So, here Pat was ...sitting next to me on the edge of our bed ..reminding me of our miracle and encouraging me in faith, to believe all is well. And to pray. And she prayed a powerful prayer over me. She was gifted that way. She also gave me some books to read, and some tapes to listen to. And then she got a large pot from the kitchen, filled it with warm water and helped me get washed and then dressed for my appointment. I was afraid to get out of bed because every time ..the blood gushed out.

But, when I had gotten to the doctor's office and undressed ...I saw that there wasn't even a spot of blood on my pad ...not a spot. I never bled again.

But now the doctor was telling me he thought I lost my baby. So, the next day, I had to go up to the hospital to do a urine pregnancy test. And then I had to wait until the next day for my results. But that night, my co-workers at the ski area were taking me out for a celebratory dinner. It was so sweet of them because they knew I wasn't going to come back to work. I still have the China tea cup and saucer with the word "Mother" on it, in my hutch. Now that I think of it ...even that gift was something to look at and use as a reminder that I WAS and WOULD BE a mother. :)

I learned that I was still pregnant the next day.

And that uterus that wasn't as big as it should've been in January, certainly made up for it in August. :)

On August 17, 1980 ...Jonathan weighed in at 10lbs, 10 oz, 23 '' long at 10:04 pm and 10 days late.

By the way ...the number 10 is the Biblical number for completion.

And then we were blessed with our 2nd son, Christopher - 8 years later, who also weighed in at 10lbs, 6 oz and 21". October baby. :)

Miracle complete! :)

And so now, Jonathan is 32 and he and his wife have blessed us with 3 grandchildren.

Looking at his son Myles is like looking at a little Jonathan.

God is good!

There's power in prayer.

He's always been such a terrific son and a wonderful blessing in our family. I love his eyes when they dance with laughter, his smile and his impish ways when having fun. We are so very proud of him for so many reasons.

Happy Birthday dear son ...dear Jonathan. We love you ...forever.



Jonathan - 5 yrs old

I said I was feeling sentimental. :)


No comments: