Sunday, November 11, 2012

Urolgy Blog Post Recommendation/ I Wonder?





*Sorry about the unintended highlighting below.  

I read an interesting post in Dr Schoor's urology blog, " Storm Related Lessons."

Dr Schoor discusses how hurricane Sandy affected the NY metro region, particularly the storm effects on local businesses.  "A practice's vitality is dependent on the vitality of its community.  You may have the best back-up and disaster recovery plans, but if your community gets destroyed so will your ability to remain viable"   He talks about some medical practices totally destroyed and others still intact, but lost their customer base.

Admittedly, I have mostly focused on  on the suffering of people left homeless or enduring power outages  and long gas lines ...but had not thought too much about the businesses that were damaged or devastated.  Well ...except for the 2 NY hospitals (NYU Langone Medical Center and Bellvue), that had to evacuate because their backup generators failed.  But,  I was also out of the loop and did not see any of this news in real time.  There is just so MUCH to take in. 


Dr Schoor shares some lessons for how to be as prepared as one can be for this type of calamity coming against a medical practice.


He also mentions that he still got calls from patients during the 100 year storm.  God bless doctors, other medical personnel and emergency workers that do have to go out in bad storms to help others.  

And that was something that ran through my mind when our power was out.  I am feeling fine, and STILL have an open ureter coming up on TWENTY months post mother of all ureteral stents removal.  TWENTY MONTHS!  I've never gone that long without a relapse and I am one GRATEFUL SeaSpray.  :)  

But, I was so miserable - out of sorts and cold without electric an no running water ...and I was thinking it would be a HORRIBLE time to have a relapse.  Anytime would  would be bad ...but I always want to shower and do all those girly things before going to the hospital.  Even in pain ...if possible ...I would always want to do that first.  Thankfully ...that was and is a moor point.  :)

HERE is the link to, "Storm Related lessons."
******************************
As a patient, I wonder how doctors can access your medical records if they need to in these situations?  I confess, I still like the idea of hand written medical notes (I know - they've gone the way of the dinosaur), but then I am guessing that if any physician was still using hard copies in an area where the Atlantic Ocean met the bay, that those records were washed out to sea.   I've wondered though ...what happens if  something major happened in the world and electronic records are inaccessible?  At least you can still open the file cabinet.  Then again ... I guess if something that serious happened ...there would be a lot more than medical records to worry about.

I do have concerns about EMRs though.  I think errors are less likely when notes/orders are hand written.  Although ...I also know the wrong orders can be mindlessly written or mixed up with another patient. I think errors could occur or something important could be missed if rushing through computer screens.  And ...I don't like the idea of a medical error being perpetuated through the system to whomever has access to said records.


Also, from what I've read in the med blogs, doctors are inundated with superfluous information generated by EMRs and I am concerned important information about the patient could be missed.  I'm wondering if that happened with me recently ...but I've gotten off track now ...haven't I?  :)


No comments: