Sunday, February 3, 2013

Why I'm Cheering for the Baltimore Ravens



Photo credit

This is a personal post about why I am cheering for the Baltimore Ravens ...especially Michael Oher.

First let me say that I'm not an avid football fan.  I tend to watch the highlights.  But I do love seeing the guys enjoy it and cooking something for them.  I love the sound of football when fall rolls around. And I will watch when the exciting things happen in a game.

But today ...I am very much looking forward to watching the entire game.  Why you ask?

 Michael Oher's story resonates deep within me and I think he and the Touhy family are truly inspirational people.

The movie "The Blind Side",  is about him being rescued by a white family, adopted out of a difficult life in the projects.  He had already decided he didn't want to hang out with the wrong people and he had tremendous faith in God.  He also worked very hard both academically and in football. However, I just read an article in which he said the only thing he didn't like about the movie was that it portrayed him as not knowing anything about football, when in reality he did play it and worked hard at it.

 I think the movie touches me in an extra special way, because I know what it is like to be rescued from difficult circumstances and taken in to someone's home so that you can have a better life.  I've written about it in here before.   My aunt and uncle opened their home up to me when I was 14. Mom wasn't able to afford to keep me at that time (we went through extremely challenging times the last couple of yrs) and so I was sent up here - admittedly against my will.  I cried and prayed every night to go back home.  *Thankfully there are some prayers God says no to.*  Mom was a good mom who sacrificed in love ...not rejection ...as I had thought back then. But I didn't realize it until I became a mom myself.  (I said that in her eulogy) And my aunt and uncle opened their home up, giving me stability in my life and guided me with great love ...and PATIENCE. I did have a knack for causing my uncle's vein to pulsate ...the one that pulsates in a man's jaw line when they get tense.  :)  I know the feeling of deep down ...feeling you don't really belong and rejection ...the kind that penetrates the soul beyond words. I knew they loved me and wanted me, but I still had that I didn't belong feeling.  I never told anyone at the time.  Especially,  since I never saw my father again from when I was 6/he didn't care. Both grandparents mom and I lived with died when I was 9 and then 10 and so there was a lot of loss as a young girl. *It was my faith in God, that I had embraced when I was 9 yrs old in a retired school teacher's living room Bible study ...that I know, that I know, that I know is what kept me from going in bad directions, because God knows I had plenty of opportunity at the shore. (I spoke about that in mom's eulogy too and expressed gratitude that she encouraged me to go to Sunday school and the Bible study - because those Christian seeds were planted early, took root and my faith is one of the *greatest gifts I've been given - for so many reasons.) 

Anyway, my point here is that I most definitely identify with his story.  I remember how he was in awe of his bedroom and the gratitude he had.  Even though I was hurting ...I remember the gratitude and so many things that run through your mind when someone takes you in.  So, even tho different circumstances - his story speaks to my heart.  And  I think it is great that he goes to schools to encourage children to choose the right path letting them know they can achieve good things too.  And I think it helps because they know he understands because he lived through what some of them have to ..and they see he turned out well.  What a terrific and compassionate role model he is!

 I also like what he said to the interviewer when asked what he thought about the racial divide in this country.  Michael commented, "It's not about black and white."  Then he went on to talk about the Tuohy family (white) who reached out to him. AMEN to what he said about the racial divide.  We have too much of that being encouraged in our society now.  Good for him!

And so ...that is why I will be especially happy to see him successful in the game and if the Ravens win.  Wouldn't that be an awesome followup story to the film. 

That being said ...may the best team win.  Go RAVENS!!!  :)

Here is a link to a great interview with Michael Oher:  This is a personal post about why I am cheering for the Baltimore Ravens ...especially Michael Oher. (I'm not an avid football fan.  I tend to watch the highlights.  But I do love seeing the guys enjoy it and cooking something for them.  I love the sound of football when fall rolls around. And I will watch when the exciting things happen in a game) Michael Oher's story resonates deep within me and I think he and the Touhy family are truly inspirational people.

The movie the Blind Side - about him being rescued by a white family, adopted out of a difficult life in the projects.  He had already decided he didn't want to hang out with the wrong people and he had tremendous faith in God.  He also worked very hard both academically and in football. I did just read the only thing he didn't like about the movie was that it portrayed him as not knowing anything about football, when in reality he did play it and worked hard at it.

 I think the movie touches me in an extra special way, because I know what it is like to be rescued from difficult circumstances and taken in, given a better life. My aunt and uncle opened their home up to me when I was 14. Mom wasn't able to afford to keep me at that time (we went through extremely challenging times the last couple of yrs) and so I was sent up here - admittedly against my will.  I cried and prayed every night to go back home.  *Thankfully there are some prayers God says no to.*  Mom was a good mom who sacrificed in love ...not rejection ...as I thought back then. But I didn't realize it until I became a mom myself.  (I said that in her eulogy) And my aunt and uncle opened their home up, giving me stability in my life and guided me with great love ...and PATIENCE. I did have a knack for causing my uncle's vein to pulsate ...the one that pulsates in a man's jaw line when they get tense.  :)  I know the feeling of deep down ...feeling you don't really belong and rejection ...the kind that penetrates the soul beyond words. I knew they loved me and wanted me, but I still had that I didn't belong feeling.  I never told anyone at the time.  Especially,  since I never saw my father again from when I was 6/he didn't care. Both grandparents mom and I lived with died when I was 0 and then 10 and so there was a lot of loss as a young girl. *It was my faith in God, that I had embraced when I was 9 yrs old in a retired school teacher's living room Bible study ...that I know, that I know, that I know is what kept me from going in bad directions, because God knows I had plenty of opportunity at the shore. (I spoke about that in mom's eulogy too and expressed gratitude that she encouraged me to go to Sunday school and the Bible study - because those Christian seeds were planted early, took root and my faith is one of the *greatest gifts I've been given - for so many reasons.) 

Anyway, my point here is that I most definitely identify with his story.  I remember how he was in awe of his bedroom and the gratitude he had.  Even though I was hurting ...I remember the gratitude and so many things that run through your mind when someone takes you in.  So, even tho different circumstances - his story speaks to my heart.  And  I think it is great that he goes to schools to encourage children to choose the right path letting them know they can achieve good things too.  And I think it helps because they know he understands because he lived through what some of them have to ..and they see he turned out well.  What a terrific and compassionate tole model he is!   I also like what he said to the interviewer when asked what he thought about the racial divide in this country.  Michael commented, "It's not about black and white."  Then he went on to talk about the Tuohy family (white) who reached out to him. AMEN to what he said about the racial divide.  We have too much of that being encouraged in our society now.  Good for him!

And so ...that is why I will be especially happy to see him successful in the game and if the Ravens win.  Wouldn't that be an awesome followup story to the film. 

That being said ...may the best team win.  Go RAVENS!!!  :)

Here is a link to a great interview with Michael Oher: This is a personal post about why I am cheering for the Baltimore Ravens ...especially Michael Oher. (I'm not an avid football fan.  I tend to watch the highlights.  But I do love seeing the guys enjoy it and cooking something for them.  I love the sound of football when fall rolls around. And I will watch when the exciting things happen in a game) Michael Oher's story resonates deep within me and I think he and the Touhy family are truly inspirational people.

The movie the Blind Side - about him being rescued by a white family, adopted out of a difficult life in the projects.  He had already decided he didn't want to hang out with the wrong people and he had tremendous faith in God.  He also worked very hard both academically and in football. I did just read the only thing he didn't like about the movie was that it portrayed him as not knowing anything about football, when in reality he did play it and worked hard at it.

 I think the movie touches me in an extra special way, because I know what it is like to be rescued from difficult circumstances and taken in, given a better life. My aunt and uncle opened their home up to me when I was 14. Mom wasn't able to afford to keep me at that time (we went through extremely challenging times the last couple of yrs) and so I was sent up here - admittedly against my will.  I cried and prayed every night to go back home.  *Thankfully there are some prayers God says no to.*  Mom was a good mom who sacrificed in love ...not rejection ...as I thought back then. But I didn't realize it until I became a mom myself.  (I said that in her eulogy) And my aunt and uncle opened their home up, giving me stability in my life and guided me with great love ...and PATIENCE. I did have a knack for causing my uncle's vein to pulsate ...the one that pulsates in a man's jaw line when they get tense.  :)  I know the feeling of deep down ...feeling you don't really belong and rejection ...the kind that penetrates the soul beyond words. I knew they loved me and wanted me, but I still had that I didn't belong feeling.  I never told anyone at the time.  Especially,  since I never saw my father again from when I was 6/he didn't care. Both grandparents mom and I lived with died when I was 0 and then 10 and so there was a lot of loss as a young girl. *It was my faith in God, that I had embraced when I was 9 yrs old in a retired school teacher's living room Bible study ...that I know, that I know, that I know is what kept me from going in bad directions, because God knows I had plenty of opportunity at the shore. (I spoke about that in mom's eulogy too and expressed gratitude that she encouraged me to go to Sunday school and the Bible study - because those Christian seeds were planted early, took root and my faith is one of the *greatest gifts I've been given - for so many reasons.) 

Anyway, my point here is that I most definitely identify with his story.  I remember how he was in awe of his bedroom and the gratitude he had.  Even though I was hurting ...I remember the gratitude and so many things that run through your mind when someone takes you in.  So, even tho different circumstances - his story speaks to my heart.  And  I think it is great that he goes to schools to encourage children to choose the right path letting them know they can achieve good things too.  And I think it helps because they know he understands because he lived through what some of them have to ..and they see he turned out well.  What a terrific and compassionate tole model he is!   I also like what he said to the interviewer when asked what he thought about the racial divide in this country.  Michael commented, "It's not about black and white."  Then he went on to talk about the Tuohy family (white) who reached out to him. AMEN to what he said about the racial divide.  We have too much of that being encouraged in our society now.  Good for him!

And so ...that is why I will be especially happy to see him successful in the game and if the Ravens win.  Wouldn't that be an awesome followup story to the film. 

That being said ...may the best team win.  Go RAVENS!!!  :)

Here is the link for a great interview with Michael Oher:  http://video.foxnews.com/v/2137112207001/beyond-the-dream-baltimore-ravens-michael-oher/?playlist_id=161660http://video.foxnews.com/v/2137112207001/beyond-the-dream-baltimore-ravens-michael-oher/?playlist_id=161660

No comments: