Monday, January 20, 2014

The Good Samaritan :)


entertain strangers angels 
Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels. — Hebrews 13:2

A nice thing happened down their in December.  I was the last customer to leave Costco that night.  No one that I could see was out in the parking lot.  But then this car pulled up right next to me as I began loading my car with the groceries.  A pan put his window down and said that he would stay there with me until I was done and got in my car.  That was so sweet.  At first I thought that Costco had security, but they don't.  He was being a good Samaritan.

And I do have a habit of shopping at night ..after dinner.  I do shop during the day ...but often times I don't want to stop what I am doing during the day ..get it done and then just shop at night.  That is pretty much backwards from what most people I know do.  I think it began after we had our first son.  Mr SeaSpray could babysit while I went out and definitely when I began working 3-11s.  But ...I don't need to maintain that schedule now.  Old habits die hard tho.

Years ago, my friend Iris practically scolded me saying, "PATTY! You shouldn't shop alone at night!  It's not safe!"  I go to malls and everywhere.  Not Newark tho.  ;)  I will admit ..that sometimes ...I do think I should reverse it and just go in the morning or at least come home before rush hour.

And I will admit that when I began hearing all about this knockout bashing of innocent people being discussed on the news - I thought ...how do we know?  How do we know it's safe to shop anywhere ...anytime ...let alone alone at night?

So ...I was grateful for this man ...even tho I hadn't been the least bit concerned prior to his staying with me.  After I put the cart back (better knee night), I thanked him as I opened my car door.  As he was pulling away and rounding the back of my car, with a big smile he said, "I was a cop for twenty years and you can't be too careful these days."  I thanked him again and got into my car.

On the way home ...I couldn't help but wonder...was I in any kind of danger?  Did God inspire that man to go over to me?  Was it just a coincidence  ...a random kind act by a good man?  Could he have been an angel?  I believe God when he says to be kind to strangers because we could be entertaining angels without knowing it.  What a fascinating idea to ponder.  And comforting.



No comments: