Monday, March 30, 2015

Projectile Weapon - The Foley Catheter

I don't know what it is about me that brings out my zany imaginations with medical situations I find myself in or about to be in.  Maybe foley catheters are just amusing.  I don't know why.  But they also have a potential for danger.  I shall explain.  Ha!  My sense of humor is coming back.  I'm already feeling better since my earlier wee hour whine.  Sometimes you I just have to vent.  :)

Boy ...it really is a good thing that I did not have to get admitted into the hospital last Week.

Especially if I would've had a foley catheter placed in me. Heck ...a foley with this cough right now could be considered an occupational hazard.

A few dry coughing spasms from me and said foley would've shot out like a projectile weapon at any unfortunate soul who happened to be in the line of fire ...even across the room.

First the WHISTLING sound ...because of the high rate of speed with which said catheter was honing in on it's ill fated subject.

Then "SNAP!,"...as it hit said ill fated subject.

Followed by a big "SPLAT!," as the foley bag ...in tow, landed on top of the really unfortunate ill fated said subject.  And yes ...I know the urine filled bag is heavy but urine schmurine - heavy schmeavy.  Everyone knows it is the velocity that makes the difference.  Physics 101. 


Never underestimate the powerful force of a dry cough.

Projectile foley - it could happen.  ;)

Like missiles, I tell you!  ;)

 Bard® Silicone Elastomer Coated Latex Catheter   5cc 12 FrBardex Red Rubber Urethral Catheter 16Fr

2 comments:

OldfoolRN said...

Foleys, especially with long term use are not a good thing. They totally wipe out hydrostatic pressure within the urethra allowing bacteria to migrate up. I have taught many foley users to self-catheterize. That skill not only promotes UT health but looks great on a resume. For other valuable tips checkout my lame attempt at a blog. I really enjoy your writing.

SeaSpray said...

Hi OldfoolRN - Welcome! I'm sorry I've missed your comment until now.

I am most grateful that foleys gave never had to be permanent. Although I have thought they'd be great for getting an uninterrupted night of sleep. :)

Thank you for sharing your wisdom and for your kind words. :)

Once I get through doing the taxes and some other things I look forward to coming over to your blog for a visit.