Monday, July 6, 2015

I KNEW It! Deer Tick and Renal Scan ...and What Do Deer Ticks and Foley Catheters Have in Common?

Picture of a Foley Catheter Close-Up in a Stock Photo
Photo Credit 

Doctors!  Okay ...so much for my riddle of the day.  :)

I had to go see the PCP this morning (Friday) because this past Wednesday morning while getting ready for my foley/renal scan appointments ...I discovered an engorged deer tick that left a red mark.  Now to me ...a bug bite can leave a red mark although ticks never have before on me.  Anyway ...I called with the hopes the doctor would say don't come in, but of course the receptionist said he wants all patients with tick bites to come in.  And I know ...better to err on the side of caution.  Except this was no bulls eye.  And of course the bite just had to be in an embarrassing area that is reserved only for gyne and uro docs ...just saying.  And yes ...I knowww ..a doctor is a doctor and they don't care ...but to the patient ...this SeaSpray patient ...and I would think most patients, it's a big deal.

Anyway ...I wanted to be all ready for him when he came in the room and so I decided to lie flat on the table, head on pillow while reading my book up in the air and over my face so I could block the overhead light.  I was actually pretty comfortable.  I think it surprised him though based on his reaction.  While not my intent ..it amused me.  I ended up giving him said book to read until I come back for a physical in a few weeks.  It's about an orthopaedic surgeon who died underwater while Kayaking in South America.  Good Read.  I've never really discussed it in this blog but I am most fascinated by NDEs, etc.

But I digress.

It turns out he wasn't concerned about it and we both agreed no one should have unnecessary antibiotics.  This would warm WC's heart.  :)

And I told him about how intermittently awful I have felt this past week.  Okay ..not awful but uncomfortable and definitely dealing with an issue that is messing up many plans.  Including my urology appointment that I had prior to getting the Mag III renal scan.  I purposely didn't eat all day yesterday thinking that maybe it was a virus.  Then in the wee hours of the morning, I remembered that this happened twice before in the past month.  I have been losing weight and not eating as much and I was wondering if the Metformin dose is too strong because I did have this reaction on a lesser dose when I first started it.

Sure enough, the PCP told me to stop taking it for awhile. I was relieved because I was becoming concerned.

And I know my routine colonoscopy was normal in December.

And I was telling people I was stressed about the renal scan (I have my reasons) and that must be why.  Normally it is so routine now.  But that can't be it because it happened earlier in the month.  And by the way ...I should NOT say I am stressed.  I never used to do that and I believe one sets themselves up to BE stressed and worse, if they continually do that.  Power in our words and all.

And about the renal scan ...well actually it is 1:09 a.m. and so I will just ask this rhetorical question to vent a little:  What is it about the nuclear techs at this facility (last year and last week), that seem to forget to lower the foley catheter bag when I am having (last year) and this year had a mag III renal scan with LASIX?  And another question: Why is the concept of the larger sized foley bag so foreign to them, particularly because if they use a smaller one they will have to drain the nuclear waste during the test?  They are always very nice.  It's just that I always have to make a case for the larger bag whenever I have new people.  But that's nothing.  Having my urine back up because it isn't flowing through the catheter is a big deal ...to me anyway.

Last year I was very concerned this very expensive test would have skewed test results.  Because last year the nurse or tech (I don't recall which - both should have known tho,) forgot to lower the bag before the test started.  So after the lasix was given I began having awful back pain, etc. and I did react and just had to endure it.  Toward the end she saw the bag was still up on the table between my legs and the hose had a kink in it.  It is normal for me to put out 2000 ccs, more or less.  Imagine that backing up.  I really don't know what backed up and how much ultimately flowed out, but I think it was less.

Thankfully, last week the bag was lowered but after the test was finished, he put the bag up by my legs again, took the picture and walked out.  So I'm not worried abut skewed test results.  However, I was having an issue with the foley when I arrived to the facility (first time ever), and I  didn't know he left the bag up there.  I was becoming increasingly uncomfortable.  I had to stay there because they only had one nurse.  Normally that wouldn't be a big deal except that I was beginning to think something was really wrong.  I was feeling like I used to when coming out of a procedure except I hadn't had one.  I began pressing my abdomen which made it worse.  I didn't know what to think and just wanted someone to come back in.  Finally the tech came in and he saw he had left the bag up there and so lowered it.  Ohhhh what a relief that was.  :)


On the upside though ...I feel so much better since stopping the Metformin on Friday.  YAY!  I am due for some lab work, have lost some more weight and have been much more physically active than I had been in recent months, and so I am curious to see what my A-1c will be since having stopped this med.  I will be thrilled with a good A-1c report without this medication.

And I will be extremely thrilled with a good renal scan report.  The reason I was stressing over this particular renal scan was because of the urinary tract infection with renal colic I had a few months ago.  But logic would dictate that if anything were wrong that manifested in those symptoms, I would've known way before now.

Just saying.  :)

No comments: