Thursday, June 2, 2016

Unexpected Scream - Timing Delay Good Thing?



A couple of days ago, My little grandson and I were heading down to Pelican Pools to buy a container of their liquid shock.  Just before I made the turn to the highway taking me down that way, I remembered that I was supposed to bring my insurance card back in to the urology office so they could verify that it has the same billing info as it did last summer.  So I decided to stop at the office first.  That taken care of, we then proceeded on down to the store.  Except that I wasn't on the highway very long when something big and black flew right at me after the utility vehicle in the fast lane hit it first.

There wasn't any time to do anything.  So I screamed.  Loudly!  Scared my grandson too.  It all happened so fast ...like split second kind of fast and without any warning because it was hidden by the utility vehicle in front of me at about 11 o'clock.  Then it flew right at the front of my car with a huge thud and then banged around under my car before flying off to the side of the road.  I kept the wheel steady while simultaneously screaming ..well one big shocked scream.  Then I immediately wondered if there was any car damage - the important kind of damage that would disable it.  I was concerned that perhaps something holding fluids could've been damaged.  I wondered if I should pull over to check or stop at the next gas station or should I just go back home and let our mechanic take a look at it.

But ...I really wanted that pool shock and thought that it was just thick rubber.  Oh ...yeah ...apparently the wheel had blown off of a tractor trailer.  It seemed close to the original size except that it was severed in one spot, thus floppy - maybe safer to hit.  ?  It was YUGE though.  So, I decided to keep going but was checking for a stream of fluid that could be leaking from my car.  All was well.  I looked when we got out and it seems my license plate was a little damaged.

On the way home on that same highway,  I remembered that accidents are sometimes caused if those large tires blow out when a car is right next to them.  I cannot stand to ride parallel with those trucks or to be behind them because I do feel concerned about that and so I usually speed up and pass, just to get away from them.  Mindful of course that I am still riding next to them while trying to pass.  Anyway,  I couldn't help but wonder ...what if?   What if we had just gone straight onto the highway without our detour to the urology office ...would we have been right in the path of the blowout?  Would I have been up to regular speed and in the fast lane?   Could we have been hurt?

Just something I pondered.  I think we would all be surprised if we knew all the times that we were spared from something bad happening to us or others we know.  And while I don't pretend to know why bad things do happen to people, or why they don't ...I do believe that there are definite times we have been protected by angels sent by God.  And they work in all kinds of ways.  But that is for another post.  :)

I am just very glad for that timing delay.  :)

No comments: